357. or 38. +P

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mojo45, Apr 3, 2004.

1. mojo45

mojo45 New Member

just bought a 357 2" Rev. that will shoot the 38.+p also,
    which should i use for best results..(which will do the most damage) ? i've always shot either 9mm & 45.

thanks mojo
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

.357 Mag 125gr JHP, if you are OK with the flash and noise.
  3. mballai

mballai New Member

I'd try both and see which you can shoot more accurately and consistently. The magnum load is more effective from a ballistic standpoint, but not everyone can shoot it as well as a 38 +P.

Small and light snubbies (J frames) are much harder to master and I would just use a +P in them. A heavy frame revolver, like an L frame S&W would be more useful for the 357 load.

Whatever you do, commit to some range time. Revolvers are more demanding than the average semi-auto.
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

The .357 is more powerful, and a better "first shot" manstopper, but either one will do the job.

Shoot 'em both and see which one you can shoot better......then practice, practice, practice.

Remember, you've got to hit 'em to stop 'em.
  5. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I have generally heard the advice "practice with .38Spl and carry .357 Magnum."

The .38Spl load will be both cheaper on your budget, as well as easier on your hand when you practice. In the event you ever have to use your weapon in a hostile situation, you'll likely not notice the difference in kick, but your practice should help you hit your target.

Although, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to occasionally pop a few .357 Mag rounds just to get an idea of how they feel when firing.
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

.357 vs .38 spl +P

Mojo:
    If the revolver is an all steel gun, of "K frame" , or larger dimensions, the ammo choice is pretty much a choice; If, however, we are dealing with an airweight, of "J Frame" dimensions, or even an all steel gun in that size, recoil surfaces are not so big, and, while it's unlikely the revolver will come apart, it WILL shoot loose much quicker.
    I've read, and even quoted here, some of the testing done on the Ti-Lite line by S&W; No, the revolver will not likely come apart with the hot stuff, but also, no, it won't tolerate that kind of ammo as a regular diet without rapid and progressive wear.
    Mine see a diet of 148 gr waddies, in practice, ( the little guns), with the hot stuff reserved for defensive carry duty only.
    Hope this helps...
  7. Mateomasfeo

Mateomasfeo New Member

I agree with the above statements.

As an owner of a S&W 340pd scandium/titanium air-lite, I can tell you that all you have to do is shoot ONE round of 357 and you'll forget about ballistics, and stopping power, and yadda yadda yadda, and will make the choice based on pain! It would take a hell of a man to shoot enough 357 through it to wear out the gun....

Having said that, I carry it with .357 and practice with .38special and an occasional .357.

[​IMG]