357 Sig load

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by parris001, Nov 25, 2008.

1. parris001

parris001 New Member

Hello all. I loaded 10 rounds tonight of what is a new load to me, and want some feedback. I wanted some powder puff loads so I chose 90 grain bullets. Under that is 10.2 gr of Power Pistol. This ended up being a compression load which I wasn't anticipating. Here's my concern: the flat sides of the bullet ended up (OAL 1.09) being pressed below the neck of the case. There was no tension from the neck acting on the flat sides of the bullet. I crimped the cartridge and well, it looks a lot like a little kid wearing a turtle neck that's much too big for it.

My biggest concern is that in my pistol the bullets will drive even further into the case when the bullet hits the feed ramp. What do you think? Junk the rounds? Anyone wanna volunteer to fire this first round?
  2. parris001

parris001 New Member

No sweat. The rounds shot great.
  3. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Well you caught everyone on Turkey break..
    Never loaded the 357sig. How did your dimensions on the finished product compare to the specs in a manual? Your description sounds like an overcrimp. But my Lyman's is older than the 357sig round, so can't help you on that. A case guage is a helpful tool, when in doubt.
    Be safe & have fun.
  4. parris001

parris001 New Member

I have to fess up. I misread my calipers. 1.09 isn't the same as 1.90! And I had pushed the bullets in to 1.09 which was way too deep. Good thing it was only 5 experimental cartridges. The ones I made correctly at 1.90 were awesome.
  5. muddober

muddober Active Member

I have to tell you I got a good giggle out of you tonight. The turtle neck sweater thing was too funny. It also made me look back the past 50 years I have been reloading and thank God we didn't have computers back then so I could share my mistakes and believe me I have had a lot of them. Also as you may have already guessed the 357 sig is a tough little booger to reload for even if you read the calipers right the first time.:D:D:D
  6. threefeathers

threefeathers New Member

Hi, I loaded 1K of these last year and I use 9 grains of Unique driving a Montana Gold 357 Sig bullet. I use an RCBS Pro 2000 Progressive Press.
  7. parris001

parris001 New Member

So you use a specific 357 Sig bullet? How does it differ from a regular 9mm slug? And what does it weigh? And (one more) why do you prefer Unique over Power Pistol? I only ask all of these questions because I am still kind of new to this load.
  8. parris001

parris001 New Member

thread bump