.357 sig over 40 s&w ??

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by glocknut, Sep 9, 2005.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

People i talk to keep telling me that the 357 sig is sooo much better than the 40 s&w.....
    It does'nt look like it on paper ??

Opinions please !!!!

mike
    gn

ps
    at least it ain't one of those 9mm vs 45acp threads !!!! :D
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

What research I've done yielded very little differences, although I do seem to remember that the .357 SIG carried deeper penetration.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

Crpdeth
  3. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

THANK GOODNES for that.The texas DPS has gone to the 357sig round.The next GLOCK I buy will be A model 32 in 357sig. I read a report comparing the 9mm, 40s&w. 45 acp, and the 357sig. The 357sig was the only round that would reliably go through windshield glass and go through both sides of a car door.I allso read an article about a thief stealing a 18 wheeler. One officer had a 40cal, one had a 45 acp, and one had a 357sig, only the sig penetrated the truck door,suppose to be a true story.
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Thats exactaly what I read Deputy, thanks for reminding me, it seems that the .40 the .9mm and others were hitting the angled windshield and glancing off, but the .357 SIG would penetrate every time, also ditto on the penetration...

Crpdeth
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

Not that the Sig issued to Texas State Troopers needs much help in the reliability department, because it does not, but the 357 Sig acts as it's own 'funnel' , because of the shoulder, in feeding, and would be more reliable for that alone, in any arm.
    If 'special purpose' ammo of any sort, is required, the assortment of available bullets is far greater in .357, than in .40 cal.

For you old guys, out there, didn't we do the same thing, with the ".38/.45 Bain & Davis", 50 years ago???
  6. azhdryder

azhdryder New Member

The 357 in the glock tends to beat up the guns after a few thousand rounds. The 40 does the same accourding to our firearms staff. We use the glock in 9mm now, goood guns, but a bit underpowered. The HK in 40 is what we are gong to next year. Like the gun, not enamored with the caliber. But thats no biggie. Anyway, the Texas Rangers are claiming 100% one shot stops w/ the 357sig. Cant get better than that
  7. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Whatever happened to the 400 CorBond?

It seems to be getting harder to find up here in the NW.

I have 400 barrels for both of my 1911s.
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Welcome to the forum azhdryder :)

I doubt that a mere few thousand rounds could tear up a Glock. I had a g21 45acp which i ran hot loads through. Never a problem. I have also talked with guys who have the G22 ? 10mm.... No problems there either.

gn
  9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Oh please, name the "HOT" loads? Winchester white box maybe? :D :D :D :D
  10. azhdryder

azhdryder New Member

G21/G22 are on the large frame, the rest are on the smaller frame. If you dont like what has been tested and proven then research the glock factory, they will tell you the same, the 357 sig is a bit too hot for glocks over the long term.
  11. I really like the 357 Sig, Glock. My most often carried CCW piece is a Glock 33. The velocity and penetration specs on that round are really impressive, basically a 9mm on steroids! One thing I did do with my 33, however, was replace the Glock plastic rod and the recoil springs with hard steel and heavier springs from Wolff. I've put at least 2000 rounds though mine so far without any sign of problems.
  12. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I have shot more .40S&W in my time but the few .357 sig I have shot hasn't been a bad round functioned fine and plenty of power
  13. stash247

stash247 New Member

Southernshooter, all, the .357 Sig, in a weapon that will tolerate full loads (Sorry, GN), is as much gun as a .357 Mag, in a self loader.
    Berto, the .400 Cor-Bon is the .45 based equivalent, in a .45 ACP case, of the 10mm, and, I like it a lot!
    Both rounds have a shoulder, which is/can be an aid to both feeding and headspacing, if the chamber is cut correctly; a distinct advantage, where health and safety of self and others are at issue.
    Like the .40 Smith/ .45 ACP argument: niether will do much the other won't, at twice the chamber pressure.
    Were I a small town cop, able to choose my own duty weapon, and caliber, the .400 Cor-Bon would be a good one, the .45ACP, another, but these are the only two in the running, and all my sense says the Cor-Bon would be a legal liability, in such service, though more effective. Pot Stirred!
  14. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

DPS carried .357`s for years when street cops couldn`t anymore. Read:::::
    OVER-PENETRATION!!!

Now they`ve gone back to it for two more rounds---only one ifin you use the seven shot wheel gun.

What changed??????

If I were to face either, the wheel gun gun wins hands down with the intimidation factor. Ever face off close range........and see that star gleaming on the end of that hollow point????

LTS
  15. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I would think the penetration factor would be a consideration depending on what the gun is used for.

If I was in Law Enforcement, military, or armed security, I'd go with the 357 Sig, but for home defense that over penetration could become a serious isse. I prefer the .45acp in the house, it'll knock down the biggest bastard even if he's sporting body armour, and is the least likely round to punch through your target, and continue to cause co-lateral damage.

Again, if the People's Republic of New Jersey ever got a "Shall-Issue" law, and I carried, I don't know that I'd want something with the penetrating power of the 357 Sig, since my need for that gun shouldn't involve shooting through motor vehicles, and any co-lateral damage caused by my decission to fire my weapon in a public place would result in years of littigation, I would still choose the slower, heavier .45acp over the 357 Sig.

Just my 2 cents worth.....YMMV