.357 Sig

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

TRAT196LIB
    (3/24/01 10:53:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All .357 Sig
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm thinking of buying a .357 SIG. However i would like to here opinion's about it first, any-body have one? Also i have done some reloading, and have never used a digital scale, i would also like to hear somthing about that also.
    Thank's

shooter45 us
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (3/25/01 6:18:01 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: .357 Sig
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Trat, welcome to the board. I can't help with the Sig question, but the digital powder scales are more accurate than the ballance beam. Especially for benchrest or bulls eye loads. Shooter

Zigzag2
    (3/25/01 7:03:57 am)
    Hiya' Trat, I am not familure with the 357Sig, but am with the Sig226 9mm (had to have it when they 1st came out) and the Sig229 40S&W (had to have it when they 1st came out)Wow, I see a pattern here myself. Anyways, They are a versatile weapon, seeing they had the interchangable barrels. I can't see you going wrong buying a Sig! IMHO

M Opaliski
    (3/25/01 9:05:32 am)
    .357Sig, realatively new cartridge so the cost is still a bit higher than your average defensive handgun cartridge ... however, the price is comming down.

There are not many manufacturers of quality handguns currently producing firearms chambered in .357Sig so your choices are going to be slightly limited ... depending on the quality that you have in mind. Did you have a particular manufacturer or model in mind?

The .357Sig is built on a necked down .40 case and is indeed one hot round. You will hear opinions that will no doubt vary, mine being one ... I will tell you that this caliber is not one that I would recommend for the beginner.

This cartridge has impressive ballistics, however, the recoil is sharp, inherently. Believe it. I have talked to those who down play the recoil ... I suppose to seem macho ... I am secure in my masculinity and I tell you it kicks ... it is not pleasant to shoot by any means.

Nothing in here that is meant to discourage, simply to inform. Further questions ... just ask. And welcome.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Support your RKBA ... Matthew
    NRA Life Member
    Talk Radio Junkie
    opaliski@hotmail.com
    TheFirearmsEnthusiast

Zigzag2
    (3/25/01 10:20:12 am)
    Well written O P.

Alphamale
    (3/25/01 1:58:39 pm)
    Trat, if you already have a .40, it would be a good idea to just buy a .357 bbl for it to try out. I know a few different bbl's are made for Glock pistols and I believe there are a few for Sig as well. Matthew covered the subject really well. The only thing I could add is watch out for that muzzle blast. Wear hearing protection.
    If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

Tennessee Boomerang
    (3/27/01 11:24:45 pm)
    Hmmmmmm, Well I sure don't consider myself "MACHO", but I do have to say this round is a pleasure to shoot. I own three Sig 229 in .357 Sig. Recoil on this round is very controllable at least in the Sig 229. I am able to do 4 " groups, off-hand, on all 10 rounds @ 25 yards. The 40 S&W is also a good round but I see no difference in recoil.

If I were you I would ask Nunn over on Gunbroker for further advice on this round.

Boomer, the Woos

M Opaliski
    (3/28/01 4:42:40 am)
    See ...

Hey there Boomer, I am glad that you like your Sigs. I have only fired that roung from the Glock Model 32 that I no longer own ... perhaps the Sig is easier on the hands when it comes to that round.

Trat ... follow that link to some good info.

www.gunnery.net/sig/357sig.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    NRA Life Member
    Talk Radio Junkie
    opaliski@hotmail.com
    TheFirearmsEnthusiast

Rons Toys
    (3/28/01 7:41:57 am)
    Ok Matt, now you can look for a Sig 229 too..LOL
    I have one and I don't think the recoil is that bad, but boy does it tear up metal. I took my S&W 745 and shot a old fridge at 15ft and it made nice clean holes..getting bigger as it went through. On the other hand when I fired the 357Sig it made a much smaller hole going in...but comming out..it ripped the metal in a long piece about 2"X10" out the far side. They both went completely through the fridge.
    I find the Speer brand Lawman ammo for the sig for about $12/box 50rds...
    Ron

M Opaliski
    (3/28/01 8:10:21 am)
    That is reasonable, yet still a little high. I remember paying $16 for a box 50 FMJ when I had mine.

I have a few other items on the list ahead of a Sig ...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    NRA Life Member
    Talk Radio Junkie
    opaliski@hotmail.com
    TheFirearmsEnthusiast

FLOYDRAMBO
    (4/9/01 12:03:49 pm)
    Have the 229Sport .357....very impressive results without much effort...ballistics great........also a great looking firearm..also have a Sig in 9MM and .40..but the .357 gives best results for me that is...do not see any problem with recoil

Edited by: FLOYDRAMBO at: 4/9/01 1:06:26 pm

MPinkston
    (6/25/01 3:21:31 pm)
    I kinda like my G33. Can't say the recoil isn't noticeable but it not too bad. I have heard that chamber preasure is greater in a 357 sig than a 40SW. Therefore, one might want to consider purchasing the 357sig and a 40SW replacement barrel rather that the other way around. I'v been buying Speer Lawman for 10.67+tax for some time now and just ordered some for 8.99 per.

Edited by: MPinkston at: 7/2/01 5:23:08 pm

kdubaz
    (6/25/01 5:25:34 pm)
    Hey, Pinkston - Welcome to the board! Hope you stick around and join us in all the forums.

Don't know squat about the .357 Sig, only what I read. Understand it is right up there with the .357 Mag in power and capabilities. Other than being a bottlenecked pistol round (I've got a .256 Win Mag) it should be a fine caliber.

Digital scales are great. Mine is the Lyman that first came out and is still doing a fine job. Haven't used the 5-0-5 balance beam since receiving the digital many years ago. It can get cranky sometimes about holding zero and, as with the beam type, air movement can cause a little fluctuation.

Edited by: Tac401 at: 6/25/01 10:04:25 pm

Alphamale
    (6/25/01 5:42:46 pm)
    Welcome to the board Pinkston.

Why do you feel it's better to go from .357 to .40? Or what pistols are you talking about doing that in. Cause I believe that all the Glock models in .40 and .357 are exactly the same except for barrels and whats etched on the slide. I know that the same sized models 22/31, 23/32, 27/33 use the same frame. The only difference is what's etched in the slide and the barrel.

So what would be the diff between changing barrels from 40 to 357 than 357 to 40?

Then again, I could be wrong.
    "Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyranize their teachers."--Socrates (470-399 B.C.)

Edited by: Alphamale at: 6/25/01 6:45:33 pm

Tac401
    Administrator
    (6/25/01 9:06:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: .357 Sig
    Welcome Aboard MPinkston!

M Opaliski
    (6/26/01 8:36:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Indeed a welcome ...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    NRA Life Member
    Talk Radio Junkie
    opaliski@hotmail.com
    TheFirearmsEnthusiast

MPinkston
    (7/2/01 4:31:34 pm)
    My only reason to start with a 357 sig and interchange a 40sw barrel is the chamber presure of the 40sw is about 35,000psi and in the 357sig it runs up to about 40,000psi. Now I'm not sure if the glock 40sw is rated at the higher chamber presure but not all 40 sw's are. So, unless you know which 40's can handle 40,000psi, it's just a safety thing.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (7/2/01 6:14:59 pm)
    Welcome MP, don`t agree with your .357 vs .40 logic, but welcome.....I don`t agree with many though, so don`t take it personally. LTS

M Opaliski
    (7/3/01 7:07:44 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Either or ... you can go with either chambering to start, they will both convert to the other with a simple barrel swap, safely. And welcome ...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Support your RKBA ... Buy a Firearm!
    NRA Life Member
    Talk Radio Junkie
    opaliski@hotmail.com
    TheFirearmsEnthusiast

Alphamale
    (7/3/01 2:50:31 pm)
    And if ya don't trust just the barrel swap, get a heavier recoil spring and prob solved.

"Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyranize their teachers."--Socrates (470-399 B.C.)

irishpoet
    (7/15/01 12:54:26 pm)
    In the past century, a lot of bottleneck pistol cartridges have come and gone. Maybe this one will be different, but I doubt it. The .357 Sig is a fine cartridge, but for some reason the shooting public seems to prefer their pistol cartridge cases straight. Go figure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    kdubaz
    (7/15/01 6:14:02 pm)
    Got a point there, Irish -

Discounting the single shot specialty handguns, seems the straight case is prefered for shooting and reloading.
    Keep below the ridgeline!
  2. Logansdad

Logansdad New Member

basically a .40 S&W cartridge necked down to 9mm...you can't to my knowledge make .357 Sig brass from .40 S&W brass because they both have the same overall case length...125 grain hollowpoints at 1425 feet per second in an effort to duplicate 4 inch barreled .357 Magnum ballistics in a flatter and faster reloading platform...I think I've talked myself into one..
  3. 91/59

91/59 New Member

I've got a Sig 229 that was originally 357SIG that I bought a .40 S&W barrel for.
    In my experience with it, the 357SIG has much more muzzle blast but has less recoil, making it more controllable, but more intimidating.
    While the .40 doesn't have the flash and blast, it kicks harder, making it slower for a second shot.
    This was confirmed by others who have fired mine.
    Fot these reasons, I keep it loaded in .40 caliber inside the house, just in case I need to fire it at night in a relatively confined area.
    If I was to carry it, it would be in the 357 configuration.

FWIW
  4. Logansdad

Logansdad New Member

I plan on getting the .40 caliber barrel later...thanks for the "Heads Up"
  5. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

6. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

well I disagree entirely you just have to get a gun set up for target with the .357 sig, also the ballastics on ballistic gel the difference between the 2 loads become negligable. For hunting all you would have to do is get one of several aftermarket barrels for a Beretta 96 and many other makes (holds a .357 sig) and viola longer length barrel with the same carry as a big honkin revolver.
    I love my .41 mag, but I am not gonna carry it with me, my 32-C is comfy, shoots GREAT! @25 yards and a little beyond (without rests or other devices to steadieness). I hardly see how its a bad load. I wanted to compare the gun to a .357 mag so I bought 2 watermelons of equal weight and shot one JHP into each, well not much melon left 'cept on the sides (shots both @ 25 yards used a rest to steady both shots to the center of the melon).
    Also if you just hit your target it does'nt matter what gun you're carrying when it comes down to the nitty gritty of it (IE some isreali operatives are given integral silenced Ruger .22 lrs. They are just trained to shoot someone in the forehead or back of the head so as the bullet will do a gymnastic routine on your brain matter, thus killing you efficiently quietly and without shooting big holes in walls) , or if your the target type, I seem to be stayin' in the black rather well...
  7. sammyd95

sammyd95 New Member

i have a G-33 ,.357 sig,love it ,lots of power !also use .40 s&w cases,they work fine,i believe they end up .012 shorter,but have shot hundreds of them with no trouble,and actually havent noticed the strech factor as with .357 sig cases,(less trimming )but thats me!,,,shoot well,and safe!
  8. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Welcome to TFF, Sammy! :)
  9. jjbatt71

jjbatt71 New Member

Get the Sig 250 357 with a 9mm conversion kit. Shoot the cheaper 9mm rounds at the range and convert back to the 357 for home defense.
  10. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Simply stated the .357 Sig is a waste. It is nothing more than a bottle neck .38 Super, before the Super was neutered in the 1960's or 1970's. The case capacity of water of both is about 10% more than the 9x19mm. As previously mentioned in this thread it is basically a .40 S&W necked down to 9 mm. You can get essentially the same real world (as opposed to advertised) performance out of the 9x19 by going to +P+ ammo.

No commonly carried defensive handgun for "two legged vermin" develops even 50% of the ballistic energy necessary to have any real "shock effect", or "knock down" or "stopping" power. Unless the brain, the spinal cord, a major bone, or a major nerve plexus is hit; a handgun gunshot wound is simply a deep or not so deep stab wound. Incapacitation, for a person who wants to fight, comes from loss of blood'; which can take time, like over 4.5 minutes on Black Tuesday in Miami in 1986.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout

Platt was fatally wounded early in the fight. He then proceeded to kill his shooter and shooter's partner, and wound 5 more FBI agents before being incapacitated by a bullet that bruised his spine.

Over 150 years of real world history has demonstrated that large diameter, heavy bullets, moving at reasonable velocities that enables them to make deep wounds have an advantage over small diameter, light bullets with big ballistic energy numbers.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  11. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Mini 14 was full auto...I was in Miami visiting my Godmother at the time of the shooting.