357mag cases

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Kestral, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Kestral

Kestral Member

We have been shooting many 1000s of 357mag over the last couple of years,but with the price now going ever upward,the lads are thinking of reloading.We have access to Unique & Bullseye, and of course 1000s of empty cases.and would like to ask if anyone has a load sorted out that would use a 357case,standard pistol primer,& 38spec solid base 148 grn W.C bullet at a 50yrd average.Any help would be most appreciated.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I'm working up some of the very same loads myself. I ended up with 1500 wadcutters and a freebie pound of Unique. I won't be able to shoot any of the test loads until the end of next week, but I'll keep ya posted on what I find. I'll be shooting them from a Ruger BH-6.5"barrel and a SecSix -6" barrel.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Do you own a reloading manual?
  4. Kestral

Kestral Member

Yes, Thank you I do,but its good I think to find out other peoples trials & experiments if any, as so many will be using the end results.and keeping on the side of caution seems a good idea to me.If you prefer that I just use the manual and dont bother asking questions just say so outright,not sniddy as it seems to be.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have worked up several similar loads kes, but none with the full WC bullet. I always lean to SWC, RN and HP designs because i dislike the reduced case capacity a full WC leaves you with.. Does make for some economical shooting tho...
  6. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Easy......
  7. Kestral

Kestral Member

Thank you Gentlemen for your thoughtful replies.My problem is that we have 82 members of our Sunday morning pistol club,( they dont all come at the sametime)and they always leave it to me as the oldest member( in age that is ) to try everything 1st.This is why,I check out the manual,then ask as well, just in case anyone has had any problems,or as asked already, have worked out a good/safe load.As it appears it seems to be felt that it might not be such a good idea to use w/c as is, but to use bullets that dont seat so deeply.This I appreciated,and I will proceed with caution in trying various types until a satisfactory round is produced.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I tell ya soemthin i did try once with some HBWCs... I put a charge for a DEWC in the case and seated the HBWC upside down and had one hell of a hollowpoint! Fired into a bucket of water it flattened to about 1.5 inches in diameter and splashed all the water out of the bucket. No recoil whatsoever and they were loaded in magnum cases... Cool sheeeeiiiittt!!
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

i shoot 38WC's and there's even less room in them, so I'm not too worried about a 357 case. I just like the crisp round holes they punch ! They're pretty impressive on soft materials as you stated too, just not much on penetrating power.

Daughter loves the 32SWL WC's, just a little pop and almost no recoil in the SP101. They're almost point of aim outa that 3" barrel too, so it's been good for her sight picture development.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

11. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I don't think he was telling you to use the manual and leave the rest of us alone. Whether or not you had a manual was the first thing that popped into my mind as well, because of the way the question was worded. The guys on this forum are generally very safety conscious and want to make sure that someone doesn't just take advice without verifying that it is okay in a manual.
  12. Kestral

Kestral Member

Thank you Sandman for giving me the other side of the original answer,My apologies then to Carver.I must admit I did take it as if I was a complete dumbo,and should have looked at the manual first.I now understand however how easy it is to make mistakes,and that was one of them.Best regards to you all for putting me right.