.357sig caliber. Pro's & Con's

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by bob1010, Jan 24, 2010.

1. bob1010

bob1010 New Member

I have a small collection of handguns and like buying some of the odd or different type calibers. I am looking at information on the 357 sig caliber. Anybody out there that has or had one? I would probably buy it in a SigSauer handgun because it was their idea. Thoughts or comments on their models available in this caliber?
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

I once had an after market barrel in 357 Sig for a Glock only because I got a great deal and it shot well, was very noisy and the recoil somewhat violent. Reloading for it was a bit tricky because of the very short neck. In my opinion there is no need for the cartridge and I think it will have a short life. I cannot think of a any bottle necked pistol cartridge that survived popularity for very long. While the 30 Luger has been around for ever, I don't think there any US cartridge company still making ammo for it.

Ron
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  3. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek New Member

Can't add a lot more than muddober. LOUD. Significant muzzle flash can accompany that. Recoil is a bit snappy.
  4. Tom

Tom Member

In addition to being a pain to reload due to the short neck, they are reputed to wear out guns rapidly. I do not own one and don't expect to.
  5. rancherodad

rancherodad New Member

bob I have the sig 229 with both 40 and 357sig barrels the 357 is all of the above and lot of fun to shoot big bang,flash and zip love it for fun and I think it stop an attacker like you said something different it is:)
  6. guns4life

guns4life New Member

have been considering for a while now buying a 10mm because of the ballistics the 357 sig is very close to the same ballistics had a 10mm in the eaa witness and like a idiot i got rid of it because ammo was so hard to find if I bought another handgun in a large caliber it would definately be the 357sig GUNS4LIFE
  7. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    YOU GOT TO UNDERSTAND IM A RANGE RAT AND THANK GOD FOR THAT.I NEVER LEAVE THE RANGE WITHOUT PICKING UP EVERY BIT OF BRASS THAT IS NOT WANTED.BECAUSE OF THAT I SHOOT OVER 1200 ROUNDS OF CENTER FIRE A MONTH.I RELOAD.357 SIG IS NOT USED BY ANYBODY VERY OFTEN OR I WOULD HAVE A BUNCH.I THINK IT IS A CALIBER THAT WASNT NEEDED,SORRY JUST MY OPINION. OLD SEMPERFI
  8. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I've got a barrel for my P226 and 5K of once fired brass. I've loaded a few hundred, didn't notice any particular problems. Maybe louder than a 40, maybe not, hard to tell with ears on. Less recoil than a 40. I concur with old semperfi, not too many folks shooting it, I haven't picked up a hundred cases in five years. Interesting caliber, I'm not sure if it is really needed, probably not though I think it will survive.