.38 Bullet A Little Strange?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by boswell2k1, Jan 11, 2012.

1. boswell2k1

boswell2k1 New Member

My grandfather gave me some .38 bullets that have a flat top and only measure 6 40/100 in length. Most of the other bullets I have measure over 7 when I look at them with a caliper. Does this seem odd to anyone? I have never seen these before and I don't want to load something that is dangerous to shoot. My grandfather couldn't remember much about them.

Thanks,
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

can you post a pic please? What diameter are they? Lead or jacketed?

Welcome to TFF and hope we can get your question answered for ya.

Semper Fi,

Woolley
  3. boswell2k1

boswell2k1 New Member

Let me get my camera out, I will take some pictures. I found another type of bullet he gave me, these were actually in the original box. They are Speer Bullets, 38 Caliber, 148 Grain, Bevel Base Wadcutter. These only measure 5 85/100 and weight 148 Grain. I'll get some pictures posted from the first post in just a few.

Thanks,
  4. woolleyworm

wadcutters are great target bullets; they seat flush with the case mouth and cut perfect circles in paper!

they look similar to these? :
    http://www.dardascastbullets.com/mm...roduct_Code=38148WCDBB1000&Category_Code=38WC
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yep. they supposed to look funny. Like lead cylinders. But they are very very accurate inside of 50 yds.
  6. boswell2k1

boswell2k1 New Member

That is them, thanks. No need to post a picture at this point I am assuming.. Any tips on seating depth? They are shorter in lenth than the bullets I am used to be loading.

I suppose I could look this information up if nobody is sure off hand.

Thanks for your help.
  7. woolleyworm

the reloading manuals all have data for wadcutters, most always seat flush with the case mouth. You do have to pay very particular attention to your charge weights, since so much of the bullet is in the case, volume and charge weights are reduced by quite a bit. Follow the load data and work up your load from the Min's and you'll find that they're great bullets.

Here's a cross-sectional view, 38WC is third from left, note that it is a HBWC - hollow base wadcutter.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yep. seat em flush with the casemouth and use a moderate roll crimp to secure them.
  9. the wolf

the wolf New Member

woolly.. the is the best set of profile pics I have seen.. it helps me to double check my crimps on my 38/257.:thumbsup:
  10. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

+1 to that. Great pictures, woolleyworm.
  11. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

+2

is the first on the left .38-40? Jacketed round with what appears to be ffg?
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Id say .30 mauser with square flake european military canister propellant. Smokeless, mildly corrosive..
  13. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

I am not familiar with it. It's loose and not compressed powder so you maybe dead on
  14. boswell2k1

boswell2k1 New Member

I successfully loaded about a hundred wad cutters flush to the top of the case. Now I have a new issue though, the cases get stuck in my S&W Bodyguard after I fire. I have to get something small enough to fit inside the case to push them out of the chambers. Does anyone have any suggestions? They chamber in and out while loaded just fine.

Thanks,
  15. woolleyworm

What charge/powder did you use? Either your load is a little hot or you need to clean your cylinder good. You shouldn't have to punch out cases; I carry a small brass punch in my range bag just in case though.