38 derringer made by R.G.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ms59, May 23, 2009.

1. ms59

ms59 New Member

Can anyone tell me anything about a R.G. model 17 over and under derringer.
    I've heard that they were made of pot metal and were not really a good weapon.I was also told they were the original Saturday night specials.And is $75.00 a good price.
    Last edited: May 23, 2009
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

standard catalog of firearms by schwing list the RG model 17 at poor $25 and excellent at $90. however this is the 12 edition a couple of years old.

i have never own one so i can not attest to their quality.
    bill
  3. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

They are crap, run away as fast as you can. 129 will get you a cobra 38 special o/u NIB that is all steel, little stiff on the trigger but then derringers aren't made for targets.
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

When Rohm broke into the firearms field they did so by taking their RG-3, which is a stater pistol, and converted it to a 22 short AKA. the RG-10. This was such a dangerous POS that it ruined Rohms image. From that point on, even when they made better and decent revolvers, the image stuck. People like to state that any Rohm firearm is a piece of junk. That's not true but the image is there. The 26Th Edition of the Blue Book has this to say in a separate paragraph. "-Excellently made but half cock safety is old design and could fail if dropped ".
  5. ms59

ms59 New Member

Hey thanks everybody for giving me that advice think I'll let that one slide on by.
  6. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

at the prices I see them go for, I have been tempted to pick one up. If nothing else, for curiosity and to see how they do perform. I have seen some for not much more than the box of ammo you would buy to shoot in them. If I see a cheaper less coveted brand for a great price, I determine the quality and go from there. I was told how bad sterling semi autos were, but my neighbor found an older one at a gun show that was heavier and better made than the new ones and I have no complaints with the performance at all.
  7. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I've owned an RG Model 17, new, since 1977. The fit of the barrel is not entirely tight, and I suspect that is responsible for a failure to fire or two. I guess a derringer is a weapon that is not expected to perform like a normal pistol. Then again, I only paid $70 for it back then. I carry it when I ride.

Yes, the .38 has a safety.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  8. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The Rohms had steel barrels and a zinc frame.
    The Cobras have a zinc frame and zinc barrels that are steel lined. The Cobra is not "all steel."