1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

38 for Squirrel?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Thomas_1, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Thomas_1

Thomas_1 New Member

I was wondering if you could hunt squirrel with a 38. I heard that you can get a low primer or ammo for this. I also got some 38 shells that have like buckshot in them. I have a S&W 357 with a 6 inch barrel, but could use light 38s in it for this.
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I don't think their would be any meat left if you used a 38
  3. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Head shots only and a normal 38 lead load would work but a shot to the body would skin & gut the critter :eek: ;)
  4. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Your "shot shells" are pretty much for rats & snakes & have about a 10' range.

The 38/357 is pretty much the wrong caliber if you want to eat anything on a squirrel. We try from time to time to "bark" a squirrel where you shoot at the bark under a squirrel's belly with a high powered rifle. The shock will kill the squirrel if the bullet hits right & there's no meat damage.
  5. Actually, Thomas, for those dangerous tree rats I generally prefer either a .458 Win Mag or a .460 Weatherby . . . in case they charge. :cool: ;)

Just kidding! Seriously, a .38 is a bit much for squirrels unless you can be certain of a head shot. A body hit, even with a light bullet like a 110 grainer, will pretty much blow them to hell and gone. Best caliber for them is, of course, a .22 rim fire. If you use a shotgun, a .410 bore works quite well and doesn't blow them up too much.
  6. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

:) A good pellet rifle will do the trick. & they are fun & cheap:)
  7. Thomas_1

Thomas_1 New Member

I started out using a 410ga then .22 rifle, 16ga shotgun, 12ga shotgun and air rifles (crosman and Gammo). I always wanted to try using a pistol. I wanted to try the 38 rounds and if I like it I would probably look into getting a Taurus Tracker 970 or Ruger Single Six both .22 cals.
  8. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

Buy a TC contender in 22lr and scope it. deadly , one hole shooter.:D --JMJ--