38 for Squirrel?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Thomas_1, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Thomas_1

Thomas_1 New Member

I was wondering if you could hunt squirrel with a 38. I heard that you can get a low primer or ammo for this. I also got some 38 shells that have like buckshot in them. I have a S&W 357 with a 6 inch barrel, but could use light 38s in it for this.
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I don't think their would be any meat left if you used a 38
  3. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Head shots only and a normal 38 lead load would work but a shot to the body would skin & gut the critter :eek: ;)
  4. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Your "shot shells" are pretty much for rats & snakes & have about a 10' range.

The 38/357 is pretty much the wrong caliber if you want to eat anything on a squirrel. We try from time to time to "bark" a squirrel where you shoot at the bark under a squirrel's belly with a high powered rifle. The shock will kill the squirrel if the bullet hits right & there's no meat damage.
  5. Actually, Thomas, for those dangerous tree rats I generally prefer either a .458 Win Mag or a .460 Weatherby . . . in case they charge. :cool: ;)

Just kidding! Seriously, a .38 is a bit much for squirrels unless you can be certain of a head shot. A body hit, even with a light bullet like a 110 grainer, will pretty much blow them to hell and gone. Best caliber for them is, of course, a .22 rim fire. If you use a shotgun, a .410 bore works quite well and doesn't blow them up too much.
  6. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

:) A good pellet rifle will do the trick. & they are fun & cheap:)
  7. Thomas_1

Thomas_1 New Member

I started out using a 410ga then .22 rifle, 16ga shotgun, 12ga shotgun and air rifles (crosman and Gammo). I always wanted to try using a pistol. I wanted to try the 38 rounds and if I like it I would probably look into getting a Taurus Tracker 970 or Ruger Single Six both .22 cals.
  8. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

Buy a TC contender in 22lr and scope it. deadly , one hole shooter.:D --JMJ--