.38 Midrange wadcutter?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Mark, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Mark

Mark New Member

Is there anybody currently building a 1911 style pistol chambered for the .38 special? What I have in mind is a target pistol like the Colt National Match in .38 wadcutter.
    Mark
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

You need a Smith 52, just no new ones
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Yea the 52's are nice
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Having owned a couple, I would say folks are touting you in the right direction.
    They will hit anything you can see, if you hold well.
    I own a couple of Colt "wad guns", at more than twice the price of the Smith, and they shoot no better.
  5. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

Para came out with a new 38 super. Sure beats a 38 special!
  6. billt

billt Former Guest

[​IMG]

This is my Smith & Wesson Model 52 chambered for the .38 Special Cartridge. I'm not sure but I thought S&W dropped production of these guns not too long ago. It shoots like dream. 3 grains of Bullseye on top of a 148 Gr. wadcutter is just enough to kick the slide open and drop the brass at your side, not halfway across the range. Smith isn't necessarly noted for their autos, but this and the Model 41 are 2 of the best I own. Bill T.
  7. stash247

stash247 New Member

8. billt

billt Former Guest

Are you saying .3 of a grain blows your groups open????? Bill T.
  9. stash247

stash247 New Member

Bill: I use that load because of the accuracy it has given me for many years, in the 52; upping the charge to 3.0 Gr increases the charge by 11%, and the recoil, as well.
    2.7 gr of Bullseye gives full recoil in a clean pistol, and just barely 'bumps' the frame, with the slide, where 3.0 'raps' the slide, making recovery, out of the secondary recoil, when the slide stops suddenly, slower.
  10. AGB

AGB New Member

Bill and Stash,

I do not use bullseye because it is not easily available here, I do use CBC 216, that is the choice for reloading this ammo according to the CBC factory instructions. Went fron 2.9 to 2.3 when the gun stops cycling properly. Got the best results around 2.5. Have a couple 52's, one -1 and a -2. The -1 is well used, but still in good shape, and I fear going hard on in and spoil the gun. With more than 2.7 the gun shows more recoil and no improvements on the group size. I've been reloadong with this amount 2.5 grains and i'm quite happy to it.
  11. stash247

stash247 New Member

AGB; what are your muzzle velocities, if known, with these loads?
    You just said what I did, about a powder I know nothing about, but my bet is 780-810 fps, for the 'sweet' load, and 830-850, for the 'banger'.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  12. AGB

AGB New Member

Stash247,

I have no acess to any timing device here. At once I found a table comparing the burning speed of our popular powders with the bullseye ones, but dunno where it is. Guess your numbers are quite close to reality.
  13. stash247

stash247 New Member

AGB, you found what I found; the 'sweet spot' in the load, and jumped on it, for the same reasons I did!
    Different climate, different powder, but, same rules!
    In a 1911, in .45 cal, with serious threats about, I'll gladly sacrifice a pistol, for immediate energy, and 'suck up' the recoil, as a cost of doing business!
    This is a 'wad gun', designed only to put all the shots close together, and recoil is an adversary to that end; a load that shoots well, and puts the slide just far enough back, close, but not hitting, the frame, fully compressing the recoil spring, is the ultimate load, for rapid fire!
    The empirical method you used yields no numbers, in velocity, but the results are obvious, to the shooter; the darned gun just keeps coming back to target!
    Could we load, 'on the spring' for other calibers, their accuracy would improve, as well!
  14. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 Member

my 52-2 likes 2.7g bullseye with a 148g dewc.
    bhk308
    [​IMG]
  15. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member