.38 or .380

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by deinonychus75, Jul 4, 2007.

?

What's your preference - .38 or .380?

1. .38 Special (+P or not)

65.3%
  2. .380 ACP (+P or not)

25.0%
  3. No preference between these two cartridges.

9.7%
  1. deinonychus75

deinonychus75 New Member

Just curious, mostly. I did a few searches in this forum and went back a ways. There's some discussion on either cartridge, but, unless I missed it somewhere, few direct comparisons between these two cartridges. Of course, each may have their own advantage, particularly the more likely concealability of something in .380 since most autos are somewhat slimmer than your average .38 revolver. Personally, I like them both.
  2. a1huntingsupply

a1huntingsupply New Member

I would have to go with the .38 Special +P. A small frame revolver with some 100gr Corbon PowrBall ammo :D

I'm not a big .380 fan but if that was my only choice I could adjust.
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

For a deep concealable carry the 9mm short(380) often enough fits the bill. Both the bullets themselve are the same size or dang close to it
  4. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    I have 2 .380's, NAA & Colt Pony

Have never owned a .38 and never desire to....

remember the reason why the 1911 was invented ??.....:eek:

My .380's are for CCW only......SHTF senarios.

I wear a pair of "Ranger Joe's" desert tan jungle type boots 24/7

The wittle .380 fits in the boot top without the need for a holster.

Preferably, the .380 is a BUG....but not always.

I cannot stand to wear a shirt not tucked in & gig line straight.....it's an old paratrooper thang....:rolleyes:

So in the warm months my CCW is limited to a small unit.
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I carry a Model 60 in my oxygen bag loaded with .38 calibre +P rounds, HP, along with a pair of ready to use speed loaders !

That has been my CCW weapon for some time now. :)
  6. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Of the two if I had to make a choice I would go with the .38 Special +P in a quality revolver...a 2'" snub is pretty foolproof in an emergency, and the power is a little better, and ammo availability is probably better too...plus it isn't that hard to conceal....A buddy of mine has a Charter Undercover that he has had since they came out 15 or 20 or so years ago, and swears by it for CCW....but then he is a "confirmed" revolver guy, his Main "sqeeze' is a S&W 686 in .357 6" he bought about the same time....

I've never been a big fan of the .380, it was just the round you were stuck with when you bought some otherwise decent, reliable, well-made and concealable small autos. And some other decent ones that WEREN'T so concealable...that I never figured out why they just didn't use a "real" 9mm instead of the "short."

In fact, that is why I prefer the .32ACP to the .380, the .32 autos are even smaller and THINNER and easier to conceal...so you will probably HAVE it when needed, and at belly-button range the power difference between the two would proabably be inconsequential...

Now having said that my main CCW is a Makarov in 9x18...about midway between a .380 and a "real" 9mm in power....but again, I'm not sure it's better than the 5 .38+Ps from a snub, just a lot more accurate and I have 8 rounds.....and I believe I am going to buy a snub soon, for my wife, who has trouble with slides and safeties if she doesn't have time to THINK about it....

And Al? The .45 ACP was developed when the old .38 Army, which is closer to the .38 S&W, not the later ".38 Special" round, failed to stop the "Moros" in the Phillipines...

Now while I know all the .38 Special horror stories in Police Work in the 50s, 60s and 70s which led to the .357 taking over "Police Work" for a while, they were mostly with the standard 158grRNL, and not the "+Ps.."

The .38 Special +P especially is still a viable defense round, IMHO, and anybody who has shot PPC or Action Pistol can attest to it's inherent accuracy, although not in a "concealable' weapon....and .357s are a little hard to handle in a 2" and I don't think offer much velocity advantage then either...
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  7. The weapon I carry for CCW, more often than not, is a Smith 637 1.8 inch snubbie loaded with 135 grain Speer Gold Dots, along with a speedloader. It's light, easily concealable, effective at self-defense ranges, and quite accurate with a bit of practice. I will also sometimes carry a Sig P-230 in 9x17 (.380), though I don't find it as easy to conceal as the snubbie. Still, it's not a bad weapon when loaded with high-quality hollow point ammo like Federal Hydra Shoks, and I like its accuracy and handling qualities. My daughter absolutely loves this little gun and keeps trying to talk me out of it. :D
  8. deinonychus75

deinonychus75 New Member

I'm thinking about a Taurus 85 Ultra Lite for my next purchase. Already have a P3AT for .380.
  9. patrol

patrol New Member

They both work out good for concealed convienant carry. Ballistically the 380 with winchester 95grain silvertips or regular ball ammo is just as good as most 38spl loads and the capacity is double. Personally, I carry a Jframe stainless airweight with hot ammo. Nothing for pocket carry. Cant beat reliability of a revolver also. Better to have five that will fire than twelve or ten that might not.
  10. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

those are the 2 calibers I have for CC.

My 3" barreled Detective special is my first choice, but sometimes the Colt Pony is a little easier to conceal.
  11. durk

durk New Member

Christmas is right around the corner Pistol! Just get her one!:)
  12. She just might find one from Santy Claus under the tree this Xmas. Santy Claus is a gun nut you know. ;)
  13. obxned

obxned New Member

I could get by if all I had was a .38 snubbie, but I carry a P3AT. It's smaller, lighter, and much more easily concealed due to being thinner.

Since neither .380 nor .38 are powerhouses, you may very well have to put several rounds on target to get the same result as with a larger caliber pistol. With that in mind, 13 rounds (fullly loaded pistol plus spare mag) beats the heck out of 5.
  14. cohoskip

cohoskip New Member

Summer: Chimacum, WA; Winter: Casa Grande, AZ
    My CCW is a Stainless Walther PPKS in .380
  15. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I'm with you, cohoskip.
    For CCW I usually pack a stainless PPK .380 and two spare mags loaded with 95 gr. JHP. Doesn't have the poop of a .38 but it's much more comfortable to carry.
    My .38 Special M15 Smith sits in a quick access lock box next to the bed loaded with 158 gr. lead HP.
  16. stash247

stash247 New Member

coho, I cannot disagree; if .380 is the drill, the PPK-S is as good a platform, as exists!
    But, how many 'goblins', and how 'pumped up' are they?
    With a .100" increase in width, a .45 or two enters the picture, a bit heavier, in both senses of the word!
    In this, there is no question; if I 'probe' you with the .45 ACP, you WILL respond, and likely, in a very docile way!
    Line my response up in the 'you need a bigger hammer' column.
  17. FLA2760

FLA2760 New Member

A Smith J frame .38 and a Kel Tec P3-AT for a NY reload. lol
  18. scudrunner

scudrunner New Member

The .38spl is a great little round and in a revolver it is very reliable, however it is somewhat bulky and heavy and without a bobbed hammer may be difficult to get out in a hurry. It is a step up from the .380 as far as ballistics but stuffing a 5 shot revolver in your shorts in the summer can prove troublesome, at least for me.

If I had only ONE CHOICE in the matter it would have to be with a small .380 like a Kel-Tec P3. Thats what I carry mostly year round. I can slip it in my short pants and you cant even tell its there. Its light weight doesn't tug at you all day either like some other heavier .380 would. With the right ammo it is very formidable, remember, tis better to have a gun with you then wishing you did.

I do at times in the winter, when I have a heavy coat on, carry my Taurus .38spl 5 shot with a titanium frame but mostly, it's the .380.

That's MHO. :cool:
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  19. stash247

stash247 New Member

Scud, anybody throwing rocks at George Kellgren's designs has obviously not shot them; that little .32, and the slightly larger .380, are the most powerful 'bill clips', going;
    I prefer the round gun, but that is of no matter; the little autos are 'enough gun', if one 'works with them', and are damned handy!
    Happy Holidays!
  20. A small auto definitely has a place in the scheme of things, Stash. Like you, I prefer something a bit more powerful than a .32 or .380, but sometimes what can be carried is dictated by circumstances, not by choice. Last night I had to attend a faculty dinner at a fancy club in a rather dark and often dangerous part of town. I wasn't about to go unarmed even though the school forbids firearms! :D My .32 Beretta Tomcat came in right handy. ;)