38 Revolvers

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by johnboycoondog, Nov 9, 2009.

1. johnboycoondog

johnboycoondog New Member

My friend has a matched set of 38 S&W ctg revolvers. Seriel numbers: C 231431 and C 231111. Thes were purchased as a set, they are nikle plated with gold plated cyclinders. They have matched longhorn grips with the longhorn being on the outside of each revolver. The metal is worn from storage and use? The revolvers were purchased with aa double holster. Does anyone have anything on the history or value of these firearms?
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

First this is not a silly question, Who is the maker, S&W? All that 38 S&W CTG tells us is that it is chambered for the 38 S&W cartridge. Smith and Wesson serial numbers with a C prefix are 38 Specials? :) Are they double action revolvers or single action " cowboy" type?
  3. johnboycoondog

johnboycoondog New Member

Sorry about that. These revolvers are made by Smith and Wesson and they are double action.
  4. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

asked & answered:eek:

next up--
    care to explain police positive and pocket police and pocket protecter?;)
  5. neilhikk

neilhikk New Member

My father has a 38 S&W ctg, that is stamped on the right side of the barrel. On the left side of the barrel Smith and Wesson is stamped. Below the cylinder on the right side "Made in U.S.A." is stamped. Smith and Wesson trademark is stamped on the right side above grip. It has two piece wood grips and fixed sights on a solid ribbed barrel. The serial number is on the butt and is 253545. The finish is blue. Thats all I can tell ya for now and have no way at this time to send pictures, but can anyone give me any information about this pistol? I had asked about another pistol yesterday and received wonderful info about an old Iver Johnson and was hoping for the same luck today!!(wishful thinking). Thanks for the great forum guys and gals. By the way, it has a 2" barrel.

Neil
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

By that serial number, it could be one of three guns.

Is it a break-top with a hammer?
    [​IMG]

A break-top without a hammer?
    [​IMG]

Or a swing-out cylinder 5-shooter?
    [​IMG]
  7. neilhikk

neilhikk New Member

It`s a break top without a hammer, and thanks for taking the time.

Neil
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Well, you have what Smith called the "New Departure" ('cause that hidden hammer and the grip safety were a radical departure from their normal gun) and the "Safety Hammerless" (which should be self-evident). Most folks call 'em "Lemon Squeezers".

Yours is a 5th Model, made between 1907 and 1940. Since they started the 5ths with 220000, and stopped 'em at 261495, I suspect your 253000 gun is from the mid to late 30s. That was waaaay into the smokeless powder era, so shooting modern factory ammo in your gun should be perfectly safe.

Lemon Squeezers usually go for between 1 and 4 hundred bucks, depending on condition. Yours might be worth a little more, though. Most of 'em were nickel. Yours is blue. That's rare. Most of 'em had hard rubber grips. Yours has wood. That's rare. Blue and wood together should be even more rare.
  9. neilhikk

neilhikk New Member

Alpo

I don`t know who you are, but thank you very, very much for your time and for sharing your knowledge. This old Smith has been in the family since it was new, it`ll never be sold, and will never be shot. I`m kinda funny that way, I`ve sold one pistol in my life and am regretting it still, I`ll never sell another firearm. Our guns range from an old Iver Johnson, the marlin Golden 39A, pre 64 model Win all the way up to the new Binelli SBE`s. Thanks again for the info.

Neil