The Firearms Forum banner

38 S&W Special CTG

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  S&WOwner 
#1 ·
Just inherited this 4 inch revolver. I remember my dad having it since before the early 1960s. The frame in front of the cylinder has #2 with 47444 under it. The serial number is C 203881. The cylinder opens by thumb release. The barrel is plain with just a piece under the barrel for the end of the ejector rod to fit in. Can anyone help with age, model, and value?

#2 ·
Please describe the item in as much detail as possible.

Detail does not mean "in good shape" ,describe how the wood is, how much blueing (% of original finish left) there is etc., and anything else you see that may be helpful.

Tell us all marking, words, and letters anywhere on the gun.

PICTURES are required. Clear, sharp pictures....full length, both left and right sides, as well as closeups of any unusual features, engraving, etc.
Here's How: http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=19430

You may try doing a SEARCH and find your gun value.

Our entire range of staff, are more than happy to assist you in order to try and answer your questions.But, you have to help us help you. Clear pictures are a must. Also make sure the pictures have plenty of light. We can't put a value on something we can't see.
This forum is for firearms values only. Anything else will be deleted.

All members are invited to participate but no guessing. We prefer you use the Standard Catalog of Firearms. It's much closer to real value than Blue Book. Blue Book is better for trade values.

Just remember, we are trying to help YOU. The more info you give us, the more accurate the value will be. And don't forget a couple of PICTURES.
Our experts work hard to give you an accurate value on your firearm so give them the info they need.

Also, we are not an air rifle forum. These posts will be deleted.
No offers to buy or sell in this forum. We have a Buy/Sell/Trade Forum for that.

Any attempt to buy or sell on this forum will result in your suspension from TFF.

If your post is removed it's because the guidelines were not followed.

#3 ·
Serial number dates it to 1948 to 1951, It could be one of several different revolvers but probably a Military and Police Nodel { M&P }. Value, not with out pictures to give us an indication of the condition and just what you have. The 38 S&W Special CTG is simply the caliber of the firearm, not the model { CTG = Cartridge } .

#4 ·
Just inherited this 4 inch revolver...Can anyone help with age, model, and value?
Gary - I am not sure what I can and can't do on this site (still in learning curve) - but, if you PM me (I think this site software calls it a Conversation) - I can provide you with a link that will point you to a site that will (for a small fee) provide you with a letter from S&W outlining the history of your S&W. It will let you know when it was produced, specifics on the grips, barrel, etc. and who it was "originally" shipped to. I can provide you with one of my letters if you want. Anyway - PM me if interested.

ADMIN - If I am breaking rules - please accept my apologies.

#5 ·
Hell, you can post the link to the S&W Letter page. I've done it several times.

Would be nice to know, though, before spending 50 bucks for a letter, that it actually IS a S&W. So far I've seen nothing that says it is.

It's chambered for S&W Special. So are LOTS of guns. The description SOUNDS like an M&P. There's a whole bunch of Eibar junk out there that matches that description.

Without pictures, where you can actually see something, or a listing of the markings on the gun, y'all are just whistlin' in the wind.

Reactions: Lanrezac
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.