1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

38 S &W ??

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by shep24, Dec 9, 2006.

1. shep24

shep24 New Member

I have a family member who brought me an interesting 38 Smith & Wesson the other day. She is wanting a ballpark value on it and I did not know what to tell him. It is 38 caliber and says U.S. Service on the barrell. It appears to be of an alloy of some type??? Her brother, my uncle, was in the Air Force in the early 50's. I thought it might have been his service weapon but cannot be sure. It has no model number on it. I read the Air Force issue would have Model 13 stamped on it but this has nothing. I do have a serial number. Gun appears to be in working condition and has been well cared for. Can anyone give me any info. I know pics would help but I have none at this time.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Does it have a 2" barrel?

Is it 5-shot (J Frame) or 6-shot (K Frame)?

Does it have a steel or alloy cylinder?

Please post all of the writing on it....EXACTLY as it's written, (and where it's written) and the serial #.

If this revolver was issued to her Uncle in the Air Farce, and he's had it ever since, it's possible that she may have a very rare surviving S&W "Aircrewman" revolver.

However......while approximately 40,000 of these were made and issued in the early to mid-'50's, they were ordered to be destroyed and only some 6 to 10 genuine examples are known to exist.
  3. shep24

shep24 New Member

Will post the info as soon as I can see it again. Maybe this week. Thanks