1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

.38 S&W

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dustydog, Dec 9, 2011.

1. dustydog

dustydog New Member

:D:D Just picked up a NIB H&R 926 in .38 S&W.Anybody got a pet load for the old workhorse?Going to drop 2.7 worth of Unique in some cases with a 158 grain Keith cast out of straight lead to start,but allway experimenting!
  2. dbach

dbach Member

38 S&W? I assume you mean the short ones, not the .38 Special? I didn't even know any new guns were chambered for the .38 S&W.

I have a .38 S&W "Lemon Squeezer" or better known as the Safety Hammerless. the gun was made between 1989 and the early 1900's. I want to say 1910 or so, but I don't remember for sure.
  3. dustydog

dustydog New Member

Yep,the short one.The revolver was made back in 1982,bought about 1983,and promptly put in a sock drawer.Does not show signs of firing(YET!),and gives me an excuse to dig thru the boxes of old ammo I have and use some factory until I load some good stuff(up to a box and a half already,thankfully nothing with balloon heads).
  4. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

The few that I have loaded are with 231 powder and some (pain in the rear to cast) hollow point round nose 121 grain lead that I cast for use in a 9MM HiPower. Cast out of very soft lead, they ran .358 inch, I didn't size them and they did OK in my old Marlin revolver with .360 bore.
    The 38S&W was used up until the late 1970s or early 80s by the Postal Inspectors. It is a fun little round if you don't try to push it too hard.

OSOK
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I use 148 grain HBWC, loaded out like a regular bullet. Put it on top of 3.0 of Unique.

[​IMG]

The hollow base expands to grip the rifling. Excellent accuracy in both a 5th model Lemon Squeezer and a Perfected.
  6. dustydog

dustydog New Member

Sounds interesting,Alpo!What is your oal on the loaded round,and how heavy a crimp are you using?
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

OAL is 1.145. Crimp is "run your thumb-nail up the case, and if you don't feel the crimp it's enough".
  8. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

My load is almost identical to Alpo's except I like to use a little more crimp. I crimp them enough that the crimp is clearly visible. They seem to preform very well.:)
  9. dustydog

dustydog New Member

Thanks,guys!Gives me an excuse to build an adjustment into the crimp die for this short lil' bugger!Also going to see how it works with the roundball load I cooked up for an old Smith quite some time ago.