.38 smith and wesson ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by BETH, Feb 23, 2011.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i have to get some ammo for 38 and i noticed some has plus P? any suggestions for target shooting:D
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

as far as i can see i should not use plus P in a revolver anything special about the ammo or just any 38 ammo
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

wow just looking at prices a lot more than .22 now i know why people are shooting .22's
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

how about winchester 130 gr FMJ?
  5. Juker

Juker New Member

The .38+P is a higher internal pressure round, thus with higher velocity and stopping power. Pistols, including revolvers, rated .38+P can fire either standard rounds or +P, but not vice versa. In other words, don't use it if your .38 isn't thus rated.
  6. Juker

Juker New Member

And the Winchester 130 is standard .38, so you'll be fine there..
  7. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Any 38 ammo Beth will work fine. The +P is loaded hotter and will recoil much more than normal 38. If you are just plinking or shooting just to shoot the Winchester will do just fine.
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

so it does not matter if u use lead nose? this is going to be a big difference from a .22
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Beth, everyone is assuming you have a 38 Special, and you probably do. But you said "38 Smith and Wesson", and that's a totally different caliber.

[​IMG]

Cartridge fourth from the left is a38 Smith and Wesson. The one just to its right is a 38 Special. 38 S&W is not only shorter and weaker, but it's bigger around (.362 vs. .357), and won't go in a Special gun.

As to your question, if your gun is 38 Special, and you said "Smith and Wesson" because it is S&W brand, if it was made in the last twenty years then it is safe with +P. +P shoots faster, kicks harder and costs more. For target shooting I see no reason to use it. The Winchester 130 FMJ was developed for indoor ranges that want to cut down on lead dust in the air. That's why the jacket. The main problem with it, as I see it, is that if your gun has fixed sights, it won't shoot to point of aim. Fixed-sight 38s are regulated to the standard 158 grain load, and faster/slower/heavier/lighter bullets won't shoot to the sights.

If I just want to plink, I find the cheapest 158 grain lead bullets I can. They will usually be Round Nose, which are pretty worthless for shooting people, but do a bang-up job on paper targets and tin cans.

If you are serious about targets, you need to find some 148 grain Wadcutters. These are target ammo. The bullet is seated flush with the mouth of the case, and it looks like a soup can. Their only purpose in life is to cut pretty round holes in paper. If you shoot a paper target with a Round Nose bullet, the paper will tear around the hole, making scoring difficult. A Wadcutter will make perfect hole. You can tell exactly where the bullet hit. Wadcutters are loaded VERY light, since they only need enough power to get to the target and make a hole in it. For this reason I recommend them to people that are just learning to shoot a 38. Extremely light recoil and much less noise.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Beth, assuming that your gun does have fixed sights, they can be adjusted to some degree. This is done by filing the sights, possibily both the front and rear. This should be done by a gun smith, not by just anyone. And the cost isn't high. Just take a box of ammo to the smith, and tell him you want the gun zeroed in for a specific distance. Sometimes these fixed sight guns don't shoot to point of aim with anything you stick in them. But that can be corrected to some degree. See your local smith.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

.380, 9X18mak, 9 luger, .38 S&W, .38 spec, .357 mag, .45ACP and .45 colt..

I labeled your cartridges for you ALPO...;)
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i am not seeing any pictures-i thought the revolver i bought was a .38 smith and wesson snub or special made in the 60's model 49
  13. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

model 49 smith and wesson 38 special
  14. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

where can i find a picture of different caliber ammo
  15. Juker

Juker New Member

This is one of the best I've found online - if you can click and save it, you might be able to enlarge it on your 'puter using Windows Media or Paint...

Attached Files:

16. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok i found a chart not a great one but it will do until i find something better, now i see the difference between .38 and .38 S&W i thought a .38 was a .38?
  17. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Thanks Juker that's better than the one i found
  18. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok if i go for ammo do i get it for .38 special (but it is a .38 s & w special?) boy there is a lot to learn
  19. Juker

Juker New Member

You can go to google, click on IMAGES, and type in bullet chart or .38 comparison or anything you like - amazing what you can find in a flash!
  20. Juker

Juker New Member

Does it look like this?