.38 smith and wesson

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Jarem, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Jarem

Jarem New Member

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster here.

I recently acquired a .38 caliber smith and wesson revolver. Will post pic later if interested.

Problem is I am having a heck of a time finding ammo. Local dealers say they can order it (1/5) and the rest say they wont order ammo because they don't like the caliber. Its not a .38 special, and half of them want to sell me .38 special ammo. I'd rather not blow my hand off so the question is...
    Any reliable online dealers available? I was planning on using sgammo however they our out of stock on .38 sw ammo. Sportsmansguide doesn't appear to handle it either.

Any information is very appreciated.

Thanks,
    JJ
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Graf carries it.
    http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/36?

For some reason known only to themselves, Fiocchi calls it 38 S&W Short, but it's the same stuff.
    http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3824?
    But I see they are out of stock on it, so it don't matter.

Midway carries it
    http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=20&newcategorydimensionid=10050&

You didn't look hard enough at Sportsmans Guide
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/magtech-revolver-38-sw-146-gr-lrn-50-rds.aspx?a=357941

Ain't cheap. Probably the Privi is gonna be the cheapest.
  3. savage170

savage170 Member

Just got a box from cheaper than dirt. The local Basspro keeps some on hand also
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to the active side of TFF Jarem ! Please do post some pics and info on your 38SW. Wheel guns are always nice to look at.

As far as ammo goes, if you're in an area where they have gunshows on a regular basis, I find alot of harder to find ammo at them. 38SW isn't particularly difficult to find though, I did want to double check to see if you're looking for BP loads or smokeless?
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Good point, Worm. I was thinking of a Terrier or a Victory, but there's a whole buncha top-break Smiths out there that are 38 S&W and are not smokeless-safe.
  6. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I think I'd be stocking up on .38 ammo. It seems pretty much every place has given up on it. The only places I see it are places that have old stock or maybe they just carry less popular rounds. The .38 Spcl has pretty much taken over the market. I went through this with a Tokarev I owned. It got to where I was lucky to see a box of ammo a year. I always bought up everything I found. Now it's all over the place again though. Maybe .38 ammo will make a comeback too. But for now I'd stock up.

My daughter just bought a S&W .38 Spcl. BTW. She bought the Bodyguard 38. It's a nice concealed carry piece. I'm sure it will be a purse gun before it's over. My daughter had a hard time dealing with slides and slide releases on the semi-auto pocket pistols. It's sorta hard to get a grip on them I guess. Heck I had to struggle with a couple of them. I know they would get easier after a while but she needed a revolver for sure. She can flat hit what she shoots at though.
  7. Conman

Conman Member

8. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

The first revolver I ever purchased was a snubnosed S&W in .38 S&W. That was back in my college days and it was used. If I remember correctly I paid $25 for it. Ammo was a little hard to find even (about 1965). I still see it now and then at gun shops and farm stores. I believe it's still produced by Remington and others. It might make a good collectors item or conversation piece today but unless it was a real bargain, I can't really see the wisdom of buying any firearm that is hard to find ammo for as we all saw a yr. or so ago when .380 was so scarce.

I rarely carry the .380 now that I have a few thousand rnds. in the gun safe. I'm banking on 9mm being readily available for a long time.
  9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

There is a gun shop by me that has about 15 boxes of 38 S@W. In was made in 1979 but still seems to work fine. Other than them I can't get it anywhere around here.
  10. Jarem

Jarem New Member

Thanks all for the info. In response to a few posts at once,
    Will post pics at some point, in the process of move and my wife has our digital camera in a different state.
    Sportsmansguide was out of stock on the .38 a few weeks ago.

And the pistol was a gift, kind of a pass down the line kind of thing.

Sorry I don't have a pic to share, will try get pics posted later.
  11. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member