38 snubby, taurus vs Charter arms ??

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by oldbrass, Mar 7, 2012.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass New Member

Pondering a 38 for CC, can`t afford a S&W so how about the Taurus model 85 or the Charter Arms undercover ?? I know either would work but can`t decide. Anybody have one of these revolvers, I`ve scoured the reviews and hear good and bad on both but its probley corporate sponsors bashing each other..would like to hear from actual honest gun people..

Thanx...Ken
  2. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Well I have Taurus and a Charter Arms and I have had no problems with either one. But if I were going to decide between the two I would probably go with the Taurus due to their new manufacturing process.
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

have you looked into the SW 642? Prices for them around here are almost the same as the taurus. If I had to choose I would go with the Charter. Ive just seen to many issues with the Taurus revolvers lately.
  4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have two taurus 85s I will sell you. One is the ultra lite and the other is the polly frame. Either one for 279.00. brand new in the box. Add 15.00 to ship.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Man, that's a good deal! I would not hesitate to buy either the Charter (which I already own), or the Taurus. They will both work well. Mine is the Stainless DAO, and I have shot thousands of rounds thru it. Double D's price is $50 lower than what I paid for mine!
  6. Orin

Orin Member

Got my wife the Taurus Ultra Lite & don't like it much. Not made well. I've carried the Charter Bulldog for over 30 years - had two. It's my fav by far. Dunno if the .38's any less of a gun but I doubt it. I prefer the .44 spl. over the .38.
  7. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake New Member

I have a Taurus 85 and I have shot several hundred rounds thru it with no issues at all. It's actually a nice light CC gun. Years ago I had a Carter .44 Bulldog. I am sorry that I let it go. I carry a compact semi auto which I prefer over a snub nose revolver, with respect to a CC gun. However, If I were going to carry a revolver and was buying a new one, I would go with the Carter Bulldog in .44spl.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have a Charter Arms, a Ruger LCR, and I had a Taurus. Any of them will do the trick. That price that Double D offered you is a great price.
  9. yetiman

yetiman New Member

I have the Charter undercover lite, only thing is I don't like the looks of the plastic trigger guard.....shoots well and is "lite"......
  10. dusty9

dusty9 Member

I have owned and frequently carried a Taurus 85 UL for 4 or 5 years. I have not had any problems with it. I have not put a lot of rounds through it, because J frame size revolvers, light or standard weight, are not the most fun guns to fire a lot of rounds through at one session. It is not the quality level of the J frame S&W's, but it costs a lot less and I am confident it will get the job done if needed.

I have no experience with Charter Arms.
  11. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

I know a very nice fellow who has the Taurus 85UL Titanium and absolutely loves it! Very accurate for a short barrel! As for DD and his "good deals", it's true and they are. Plus, he's a very nice fellow too! (When he's asleep):lmao2:
  12. sctt77

sctt77 New Member

double d will you ship to pa an how do we do it?
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I've had 4 of the Bull Dogs so far, and I love them!

Attached Files:

14. Old John

Old John New Member

I have over the years, owned a couple Taurus Mod. 85, .38 specials. I sold one to a lady co-worker, because she really wanted to buy it. And my Dear Brother talked me out of the other one, years ago. I never had a bit of trouble out of either of them.
    I would not hesitate to buy another Taurus .38 special revolver.

At prsent I do own 3 Taurus revolvers, a snubby, .45 Colt, that I bought about 8 or 10 years ago. I love it. But it's a little too fat for me to Conceal carry. I'll never sell it though.
    Last year I bought a 4" Taurus model 94, .22 lr, revolver. just to have around the house.
    And, around Christmas time I bought a Taurus snubby .357 magnum. It's small and I like it better than a .38 speci.l I carry it once in awhile.

Like I said I would not hesitate to buy another Taurus revolver.

I have no experience with Charter Arms.