The Firearms Forum banner

.38 special Colt Officers Match Model // Python

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Lanrezac 
#1 ·
I have been wanting a python for years, they are beautiful. Problem is crazy money to me.
So we were shooting my new Remington R1 and running out of shells quickly. So i haven't shot my Colt .38 Officers Model match with a 6" Heavy barrel in years. Wow! I forgot how good that gun shoots and the trigger is super light and smooth. I bought it about 35 to 40 years ago from an older fellow that said his brother shot it in the early 1950's Olympics??? True or false stock or did someone touchit up? Hey all i know is it is a super fine gun and I'm all over pulling the trigger on buying a Python. I cannot shoot any better with any gun than I can with this Colt. So glad I never sold it and I have a super nice shape S&W that probably in someone elses hands would shoot just as good but not in mine. My Colt fits my hands the best.

#2 ·
Colt made wonderful guns. When they were on their game, their quality was unbeatable.

As I understand it, these Colt Official Police / Officers Model guns had a better cylinder-hand (the piece that makes the cylinder rotate) design than S&W; IIRC, it had two fingers instead of one, for more positive locking.

Masaad Ayoob wrote a very good piece about these guns in one of his books about his favorite pistols. They're on Amazon.

#3 ·
Sad to say, Colt did make wonderful guns. Why don't they still make such wonderful guns? Because you, and I, just could not pay what these guns would sell far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.