1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

38 Special cutdown to 38 S&W

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Slomo, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Slomo

Slomo New Member

A friend of mine has a H & R "break back" revolver calibered in 38 S&W. We already know the "break back" is a major safety concern so we would like to test it with a reload rather than commercial loads. We would prefer not to invest too much if anything in brass and dies so we concidered cuting down a 38 special case, since I already have the brass and dies. We know the 38 S&W is slightly larger in Dia. than the 38 Spl.
    That is why we would like to draw info from more experienced hand loaders on this project.
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

If you're not sure about the integrity of the firearm, take it to a gunsmith or call it a decoration piece. Do NOT fire it.
    Learning if your $200 antique handgun works is not a reasonable trade-off for risking your hands, face, etc.
  3. Slomo

Slomo New Member

It would be certainly be fired from a vise NOT by hand. Gunsmith? I dont have any locally I would trust.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Here's your problem. If you cut 38 Special brass down to 38 S&W length, your Special seating die's crimp shoulder will not be low enough to crimp it.

Do you, by chance, also have 9mm dies? If so, you can crimp it with a 9mm seating die. 380 will work, for that matter.

A cut-down 38 special case will work in a 38 S&W chamber. Your case life will be short, as there will be much expansion when fired, and then resizing too small, giving you, again, much expansion when fired. I doubt you'd get more than two - maybe three loadings out of it before you got cracks.
  5. Slomo

Slomo New Member

Thanks for the info.
    I do have 9mm dies I could crimp with. I'm not too concerned with reload cycles.
  6. oldgunfan

oldgunfan Member

what about sizing with a 9mm makarov? there bullit's are .365 do you think that would work?