.38 Special +P Rossi Revolver

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 01brian, Aug 20, 2012.

1. 01brian

01brian New Member

So, I'm looking at revolvers now. What do you guys think of Rossi revolvers? I liked the grip and the price.

I had a little trouble with my sig at the range and am reconsidering what to carry until I get a LOT more practice in with the sig.

Thanks in advance!
    B
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

There is an old clique that a cat won't sit on a hot stove but once, the truth of the matter is, the cat will never sit on any stove again. I once owned a .38 Special Rossie, never again. That is about the only advise I can give concerning the Rossi revolvers. Perhaps others can be more positive.
  3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I can't say about the 38+P but I do carry a 462 in 357, it's never given me a problem or failed in any way. Only thing that I wish it had was adjustable sights.
  4. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

I am more inclined to use a wheel gun in .38 Special now. I am afraid of the autos jamming. I agree that the auto's have more fire power. But, I can't trust 'em with my back to the wall.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  5. 01brian

01brian New Member

Thanks for the input. Rhuga, I think you are right. I realized at the range I underestimated the complex nature of my semi auto. I'm thinking that for me, a revolver is the way to go for now. I got a month or so before I pick one up. I like the full grip and small package of the Rossi. I saw a charter arms on another post here that looked pretty nice too. I'll keep scrounging around for info :)
    Thanks Guys.
    Brian
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Brian, don't sell the Charter Arms wheel guns short, they're a fine gun. A lot of people do because of their low cost.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Shoot standard .38 special in your Rossi revolver for practice, and load up with +P for PD. It won't hurt a thing. A Rossi is not known for it's quality workman ship, nor for it's strength. A steady diet of .38spl +P will shoot it loose, and cause faster than normal wear.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  8. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I bought one for my wife years ago. Took it shooting and never had a problem with it. Always dead-on. It is not rated for +P though.
  9. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Uhh, what is it you guys are shooting that is jamming all the time that would scare you away from autos? I shoot hundreds and hundreds of rounds and cant remember my last jam. Also, if you train to clear a jam, you can do so in a matter of one second.
  10. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

I have a 4" EAA Windicator and love it. Thinking about getting another one. The price is right and the quality is great.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    You know what happens when you buy one of the cheaper semi-autos, they jam! And how many of us really get the training we need to be profecient?
  12. 01brian

01brian New Member

I got the sig P2022 in 9mm. its my first auto handgun. I had a few problems at the range as noted above and just need more time with it. During this training time, I would like to have a reliable wheel gun until i'm 100% comfortable with my sig is all. So, i've been looking around and thought the rossi seemed pretty reasonable in cost. I think I'm going with the ruger SP101 when all is said and done.
  13. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Another possibility if you are thinking of buying something new..you can likely find a good quality used Smith for not much more than a new one of less quality. In my opinion S&W revolvers can't be beat.
  14. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I have owned and still own two Rossi revolvers in .357. One is blued with a 4"bbl and adjustable sights the other is a S&W 66 copy 2.5" SS and they have both performed fine for me. The 66 is a might tough with 158 gr JSPs in it, therefore it gets 125 gr JHPs and my 4" gets the big load.

My Taurus 941 is a joy to shoot too.
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I can't see a Sig doing a lot of jamming. The only time one of my Sig's has jammed was when my Granddaughter was shooting the P226 and she was limp-wristing it.

Way back when I couldn't afford much else, I owned three Rossi 38's and really liked them. I saw a used one at my local gun shop the other day and almost bought it, but it was beat to death.
  16. 01brian

01brian New Member

Well, thanks for the input. The sig didn't jam. I just need more practice with it.
  17. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sorry, I misunderstood, I just assumed (dangerous thing to do) that you had jams with it!!
  18. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

the problem i have with my rossi revolvers is finding autoloaders that work well with them. seems the cylinder is close to the frame
  19. Bud0505

Bud0505 Member

I've carried a Taurus titanium 85 for the last 10 years or so. Never used it defensively but I've put a lot of rounds down range without any problems. I have several wheel guns and several conceable automatics but I keep carrying the Taurus.