38 Special Reloads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by perry, Jan 29, 2010.

1. perry

perry New Member

Have been reloading 38's for a while but always with cast bullets, lube included. I came across a couple of boxes of Berry's 158 gr FP bullets. Problem is they are smooth, no place to crimp to. Can these still be used with 38 Special cartrides and used in a revolver?
  2. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

sure

some will say neck tension alone is sufficient. for heavy powder loads [+P] i would apply a moderate taper crimp. besides safe to fire in a glock, plated are often chosen when a reloader wants to replicate a SD round but not spend big on plated bullets. plating can separate from the lead core under high pressure/ high velocity--so keep crono & check the bbl for obstructions when firing new 'hot' loads.
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup. Will be no problem using them in your revolver reloads. I wouldn't use a non-cannelured bullet in reloads for a lever-action rifle though (or any tube magazine setup).

The .38Spcl doesn't have much recoil with cast-bullet loads so bullet creep from recoil shouldn't be a problem. Like Claude posted, you can do a slight crimp on them to help hold them in place if you wish though.
    Those particular Berry's 158 FPs are just plated lead bullets, not jacketed. Load them using cast-bullet data not jacketed data.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  4. bucksnducks

bucksnducks New Member

To make sure they aren't creeping on you, you might want to load up a dozen or so and fire about 4 and check the remaining ones in the cylinder with your caliper.
    Do it twice to make sure and you should be all set.
  5. Ranb

Ranb Former Guest

The Speer reloading manual states that a crimp will make for more consistant velocities even if it is not needed to keep the bullet from jumping foward in the case under recoil. I would crimp it lightly even without the crimping groove.

Ranb
  6. perry

perry New Member

Thanks for the info. I will be reloading a few today.