380 ? 9mm

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Shortybozz, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Shortybozz

Shortybozz New Member

I will most likely get greaf on this question but I got to ask. Can you reload 380 using 9mm dies?
  2. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

no, you can load up as say .38sp. dies can load .357. But not down as say .357 dies can not load .38 sp. Not a dumb question at all. Quite logical actually. If you have any other questions you can PM me if you wish although I will be gone this weekend I think. You can check and see if you wish.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

There are slight dimensional differences between the 380 and 9mm; the only answer is no. It's not worth it to discuss the "what if's" on this matter, be safe and get the correct set.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

38/357 is a good example of both being straight walled cases and of course parent case 38 to the 357.

380 and 9mm do not have the same relationship, 380 is a straight wall case and 9mm is a tapered case.

( though Brisk brought up a good point, just wanted to clarify it a little. hope that helps )
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum if u need more help come on back
  6. lawdawg

lawdawg Member

I don't think you will. While I have noticed some arrogance on other forums where the members give people less knowledgeable about a particular subject than themselves a hard time, I have not experienced that here; at least not on non-political threads. That is why this is the ONLY forum I am a member of. Not that there aren't any other good ones out there, but few, if any, better than this one. I think your question was a fair one. Welcome to the forum.

7. Shortybozz

Shortybozz New Member

Thanks all! I was pretty sure that the answer was no. But because the 380 is called the 9mm short I had to ask. Guess I will be purchasing the dies next week.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

(i love using this smiley) :lmao2:

Attached Files:

9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Just kiddn ya. The fine folks above have more than answered your question.. Funny thing is I have tried, it dont work..:eek:
  10. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Well according to the German reference to 380 - "9MM Kurtz" meaning 9mm short would make one think they are reloadable with the same dies but not the case - no pun intended...
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Brisk's answer, while correct, could be confusing.

>no, you can load up as say .38sp. dies can load .357. But not down as say .357 dies can not load .38 sp. <

While "NO" is correct, what follows, while correct for 38 and 357, does not apply here. What it sounds like is being said is that you can load 9mm with 380 dies (load up), but not load 380 with 9mm dies (load down).

I don't know if that was what was meant to be said, or an "oops"-type brain fart. But it's totally incorrect. 9mm and 380 are completely different case designs, and you can't load either of them in the other's dies.

That would be kinda like saying you can load 30/06 with 308 dies. Yes, they are both 30 caliber, but it won't work.
  12. azleite

azleite New Member

Whoa! I load .38's w/.357 dies (Lee) all the time, apologies in advance if I'm reading this wrong-Dave
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If they are strictly "357" dies, normally the crimping shoulder will be too high to crimp a 38. With a 38 seating/crimping die, though, you just back it out a little more and crimp the 357 with no problem.

Most dies, nowadays, are "38/357" marked. My first set, however - RCBS bought in 1977 - were 357 only, and I had to buy a 38 seating die to do Specials.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

As far as I know Alpo, the LEE die sets are marked .38/.357 and have been for a couple decades or so..
  15. azleite

azleite New Member

Ya'all made me think I'm going senile so I checked-Lee .38 dies-Part #90510/ .357 Part #90511. I do use a seperate crimp die-Dave
  16. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That does make a difference. I have 44 magnum dies. I load magnum, special and Russian, using them. Got the Lee Factory Crimp die, and with it screwed all the way down, it will crimp the Russian. But if i didn't have that, I'd have to be cutting about a quarter inch off the bottom of my magnum seater die, to get a crimp.