.380 ACP heads up

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by carver, Feb 2, 2010.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I just ordered some .380 bullets, FMJ, and a set of .380 dies from Midway. They had them in stock. Also ordered some pistol brass, but that was placed on back order.
  2. shadowalker

shadowalker New Member

carver, I just finished a reloading session for my .380 Firestorm. Dies and primers were no problem; brass was a real pain. Bullets came from Missouri Bullet Co. with no problem. I really hate backorders when it comes to reloading. Good Luck,..shadowalker
  3. Gatofeo

Gatofeo New Member

Remote Utah desert, separated from Oblivion by a s
    Just bought 1,000 lead .380 bullets made by Meister, from Midway. They're 92 gr. hard-cast, .355 diameter. Cost was $78. Not a bad price; not great but not bad, anymore.
    This was with the birthday discount that Midway offers its registered members.
    I have about 1,000 empty cases, acquired over the past nine years that I've had my Walther PPK.
    With a little judicious reloading, I can hurl a 92-grain bullet at about 1,000 fps from my PPK, if I desire. Most of the time I load them down to about 850 or 900, solely for practice.
    Interestingly, the 92 gr. lead bullet at 1,000 fps basically duplicates a full load in a Colt 1851 Navy .36-caliber cap and ball revolver: 80 to 82 gr. lead ball at 1,000 fps.
    The 1851 Navy was a favorite of Confederate cavalrymen. Some folks today think of the .380 as too weak for serious defense, but the ghosts of millions killed by .36-caliber cap and ball revolvers all over the world would differ.
    The ol' Colt was deemed plenty by gunfighters, soldiers, miners, explorers, Pony Express riders, etc.
    If you could handed them a Walther PPK in .380, they likely would have felt well armed enough. :D
  4. incredablehefey

incredablehefey New Member

i know this might not help but i hate to see people overspending on the simple things. I live shopping at midway i usually have things that no one has but there mark up on brass is a little much for me, and if your going to have to wait on a back order to get filled you might as well buy directly from the manufacturer.

satline brass has a website where they sell directly to people for a better price than you can get pretty much anywhere else and there 100% American made

just a little price comparison on same exact brass,500s&w mag x 500
    midway $248 back order only
    Graf & sons $242 in stock
    craigsbrass $360 (yikes) in stock
    http://www.starlinebrass.com $224
    yes there about as back ordered as everyone else but who do you think will get the brass first, the maker, or the reseller
    oh and check the price on larger quantities, the per unit cost falls dramatically
    if anyone has a better source for premium quality brass please share it