.380 ACP Pistols

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by neilin, Jan 21, 2010.

1. neilin

neilin New Member

The February 2010 issue of the American Rifleman compares nine .380 ACP Pistols currently on the market. I feel that anyone considering carrying one of these .380's should read this issue first.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I carry a .380. What was the lowdown on it?
  3. neilin

neilin New Member

There are nine in the issue, what brand/model do you have?
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

5. neilin

neilin New Member

That one is not covered in this issue. This issue covers currently manufactured, new and somewhat trendy models. Your .380 is supposed to be one of the best according to numerous other sources.
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Dang straight! Thanks though. I'll look into that issue anyway. Sounds interesting.
  7. neilin

neilin New Member

I feel it is an eye opener.
  8. questor

questor New Member

I only receive the American Hunter, what about the Kel Tec P3AT?
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  9. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I carry a P3AT and have since 2005. I know it's a reliable running pistol... :)
  10. neilin

neilin New Member

Eight of the nine .380's had failures to feed. Their test P3AT was "prone to malfunction with several kinds of ammunition".
    Their Rohrbaugh test gun was the one that did not malfunction.
  11. questor

questor New Member

Thanks for the up on the .380. Located this on:
    http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=2074&cid=4

When you go to this URL, click on Photo Gallery. Then when you click on any of the weapons you receive a picture of that specific weapon with a review, as the Kel-Tec below. I don't use the sights, I use it as a point & shoot weapon 2-7 yards.

Kel-Tec P3AT

The single most important criteria in selecting a gun for habitual carry is weight—as long as the gun in question is enough gun for the job. If you are considering a .380, you cannot find one that is lighter than the 8.3-ounce P3AT. While Kel-Tec has branched off into some interesting long guns in recent years, the firm’s bread and butter has been small semi-automatic pistols at low prices. It actually makes a smaller and lighter version of this gun in .32 ACP. Using a light, slim polymer receiver that houses the lockwork and a single-column magazine of six rounds, the P3AT is indeed a light, small package. It’s a hammer-fired DAO, in which the mass of the hammer is concentrated around the point of pivot. The gun is not easy to shoot, in that the sights are small and hard to see, and it has too many sharp edges and corners. Further, the P3AT is prone to malfunction with several kinds of ammunition. I suspect that the Kel-Tec needs a great deal of breaking-in before it goes into service. $318

nutNFancy did a review on the weapon and said it needs at least 100 rounds for break-in: http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy#p/search/1/s4O3BxoFLM4
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  12. Redhand

Redhand Member

I carry an AMT Backup for just that purpose. It is a little on the hefty side but is a solidly built stainless model with a manual and grip saftey. It shoots and functions fine. Kinda reminds me of my Colt 1911.:D:):D
  13. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

Meh. Underwhelming.

"I suspect, blah blah blah." Ok buddy, whatever.

Anyone who's done much shooting KNOWS that a new gun has a break in period.

If this person did 30 seconds of research on the Kel-tec, he'd have discovered that it's helpful to spend 10 minutes on a fluff and buff to make sure that there are no chambering or feeding problems. Sounds like the Kahr, and the LCR (Keltec ripoff) need it too. Others probably could benefit from feed ramp polishing as well.

Not a truly fair assessment I'd say.

And as far as the one that didn't malfunction - and it costs MORE than $1000???? It darn well better not malfunction if you pay that much for a mouse gun. The company better break it in before shipping it, for that money. Holy crap.
  14. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking.

Priced at more than double many of the others, it should be finely polished.

And it's hardly a scientific sample size, using one of each gun. Overall, I felt like I didn't learn anything new.
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I really like the looks and feel of the Sig P238. The only thing keeping me from getting one is the fact that I hate the thought of spending $500 for a .380!!
  16. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I hate the thought of using a 380 to protect myself although I carry a mouse gun when I exercise wearing shorts and a T shirt. A 380 would be a step up but think I'll go a different route and carry my 357 mag in a bellyband.
  17. ARB

ARB New Member

Finally, someone else had the same difficulties I had with the LCP. I ran a lot of ammo through that little bugger to get it broken in, and then switched to the most expensive ammo hoping the jams and misfires would stop. Nope.
  18. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

Did the article mention the MAMMOTH recall on the Ruger??? Probably not.

Now THAT is questionable reporting.
  19. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I just ordered a taurus 738tcp 380 for a customer. It looks pretty good. I saw the reviews on it. They all seem to do about the same. They need break-in.
  20. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

You may be able to find a used one labeled "Colt Mustang." (It's the same gun.) Of course, that may be more expensive than getting the new SIG. :rolleyes: