.380 for Self Defense?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Contenderizer, Nov 13, 2008.

?

Is the .380 a practical self-defense round?

Poll closed Jan 12, 2009.
  1. No Way ... unless you are attacked by a squirrel.

3.7%
  2. OK as a back-up gun - but nothing else.

9.3%
  3. Fine for self-defense if you understand its short-comings.

53.7%
  4. I'm OK with it - it is/could be my primary self-defense round.

33.3%
  1. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

LMAO

No I didn't say a medieval spear:p:D
  2. Actually, Delta, I prefer the Javelin to the spear:

[​IMG]

:D;):p
  3. delta13soultaker

I hate to make a pun, but you must have a CLU:D:D:D
  4. True, Delta, but a Command & Launch Unit is only useful if you have the Javelin itself, preferably several if T-80s or BMPs are headed for you. :D;)
  5. delta13soultaker

Yup and several refill bottles of that really cold stuff;)
  6. Old Timer

Old Timer New Member

Contenderizer: I consider the .380 ACP to be one of three viable self defense cartridges, the .38 SP and the 9mmP being the other two. Bigger, more powerful cartridges are for service or hunting loads and usually found in service or hunting guns, or virtually unshootable sub-compacts.
    When needed (shorts and t-shirt or deep concealed back-up) I will also accept the .32 ACP, but not on a regular basis.
    Everybody forgot about the .380 with the advent of ultra-light 9mmP (Kel-Tec P-11 and Taurus PT111) and miniguns like the Kel-Tec P-32. Now, with both Ruger and Kel-Tec making ultra-light .380 ACPs that fall in both weight and power between the .32 ACP and 9mmP, the .380 ACP is again a viable self defense handgun. Loaded with frangible or hot JHPs it compares well with the .38 SP. Given a choice between the Kahr .380 and my compact SIG .357 for day to day concealed carry I'd probably opt for the Kahr. But then I havn't been shot at in almost 40 years and don't expect to be again. I'd just carry the .380 for company, and I like lightweight, concealable, comfortable company, particularly if it has the authority of over 200 ft lbs of energy. Old Timer
  7. stevec

stevec New Member

With the advances in ballistic sciences I see no reason that a .380 couldn't and wouldn't do the job. I've seen where Corbon DPX solid copper hollow points are leaving .70+ wound channels. Yeah, that should stop 'em.
  8. Miss Kit

Miss Kit New Member

Only because I'm ambidexterous and carry a S&W .357, S&W Airweight Snubnose.38 and have room for the Macarov. Oh, wait..n/m I forgot I just bought a nice lil 1911 and that's not enough hands is it?
  9. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

The Ruger LCP is currently under a large recall, due to a malfunction in its design that may cause a discharge if dropped.
    http://www.ruger.com/LCPRecall/index.html

Thanks, I'll take my Kel-tec instead. (and it's less expensive than the ruger too). :D
  10. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Why not? Folks carry 9mm's for 'self-defense'.