.380 Taper Crimp

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Munch, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Munch

Munch Member

I'm new to reloading but have done quite a lot of reading before starting. I have a " Multi Deluxe" set of carbide Lyman .380 acp dies. In all my research I cannot find a taper crimp die to match this set. What am I missing here? How do I tell if this is a 3 or 4 die set? I have 3 actual dies, but 1 extra seater, ( or so It appears). I have looked on the lyman site, ebay and brownells for a .380 taper crimp die and have turned up nothing. I really hope i am just overlooking or underthinking something. BUt, any insight would be appreciated and aid in the slowing of my hair loss..
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

The part number for the .380 taper crimp die is 7153100.
    You can order direct from Lyman (at full retail price...spendy), or it's available at midway too. Probably other online reloading supply houses too.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/802603/lyman-taper-crimp-die-380-acp-38-s-and-w-38-super-auto

If you've got the Multi-Deluxe 3-die set (part #7680112), then you should have the following:
    1 carbide sizing/decapping die
    1 expander die
    1 seating die (probably with two or three seating stems for the die...one for round nose bullets, one for flat nose style bullets, and sometimes one for hollow points).

According to the Lyman catalog that I've got (2008) and their site, they don't offer a 4-die set for .380ACP.
    The 4-die sets include the three dies listed above and also the taper crimp die. 4-die sets aren't available in every caliber.
  3. Munch

Munch Member

Thank you very much. I missed that completely on the Lyman site. I'll head over to midway or lyman's site and pick one up.