.380 - Walther PPK or Beretta

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by BigV, Feb 11, 2006.

1. BigV

BigV New Member

I have been looking for a good .380 auto for my wife as her CCW. I have narrowed it down to either a Walther PPK or a Beretta. I WAS leaning towards the Walther. A friend of mine who is a US Customs agent carries a Walther as a BUG. It was made sometime around 1985 and shoots flawlessly. Today at a gun shop in Cuyahoga Falls, I was asking about a Walther and was told by 2 of the workers there to stay away from the new Walther. They claim to have sold 6 in recent months and have serious problems with all of them. Both FTF and FTE. He claims that they polished the feed ramps and could not make the guns reliable. Since I am not one to take the word of salesmen (they didn’t have a PPK, only had the Beretta) I figured I would toss the reliability question out here. Anyone have a newer Walther PPK and have problems? Any suggestions on which is the better gun Walther of Beretta? They are priced about the same. My intent is not to start an argument between Walther and Beretta owners so please don’t take it that way. I look forward to your responses
  2. user_error

user_error New Member

I have a beretta 92fs and I LOVE shooting it, more than any other pistol I've ever shot. After thousands of rounds, the only problem I had was once, the fifteenth (last) round failed to feed because the mag spring was worn out. The gun itself is a work of art.Not to mention it shoots like sex on satin sheets.
  3. BigV, I've heard the same thing about the new Walthers from several differrent sources. The Beretta is a good pistol, but before you buy, take a close look at the Sig Sauer P-232. It is the sweetest .380 your ever likely to see and makes an excellent carry piece.
  4. lead

lead Well-Known Member

I would second the suggestion that you look at a Sig 232. Sig quality is very impressive. The 232 is similar in weight and size to the Walther, the Beretta will be heavier.
    If you want to go a little cheaper(like maybe just to make sure the gun fits your needs without spending a fortune), the Bersa Thunder 380 is also a PPK clone, very reliable, at half the price. I've owned both a Bersa and a Sig, it's like owning a Chevy and a Cadillac, both will get you there, but the Caddy does it in "style".
  5. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

OK, one very important question: what does your wife want? I don't mean to be flip here, and hopefully you are including her in the decision. But a woman has smaller hands, and she really needs to hold (and if possible, shoot) as many different weapons as possible before you make a final decision. Trigger pull will be an important issue; at least, it is for me. My hands are very small, and if the gun has a very heavy pull, I simply don't have enough leverage in my fingers to make a smooth pull and still keep the gun on target.

Sorry to butt in. Y'all carry on with your discussion. :)
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

I assume we're talking new guns here. If that's the case, I'd go with the Beretta.

The Walther PPK is a fine design, and, as manufactured in Germany and France, was a nicely made and reliable firearm. BUT.....the currently made U.S. production ones have had a lot of problems.

As a native Mainer, it pains me to say this, but the U.S.-made PPKs, built in Houlton, Maine, seem to be cobbled together by a bunch of unemployed Aroostook County potato farmer's wives......who may be great at picking potatos, but know nothing about making pistols. :confused:

Go with the Beretta.
  7. A very good point, SoMo. Firearms are not a "one size fits all" item. As a general statement, and one which certainly does not apply to all females, the .380 is generally a good caliber compromise for females in terms of controlability v. stopping power. The pistols it is chambered for, by and large, are small enough to fit smaller hands well. One .380 on target is much better than ten .45s that miss.
  8. Peanut Man

Peanut Man New Member

For my wife, the "pop-up" barrel was most important, so we went with the .32ACP Beretta Tomcat. She has real difficulty in "racking" the slides on autos. I think Beretta makes a .380 pop-up barrel. For me though, I have and prefer the Kel-Tec P3AT .380 because of it's size.
  9. BigV

BigV New Member

Thanks for the replies!
    I found a used Walther PPK/S at a local gun store and couldn't pass up the deal. Took it to the range today and shot 200 rounds without a hiccup! The only problem (if you want to call it that) is my wife can’t pull the slide back. I now have a nice BUG.
  10. Small correction: You now have a VERY nice BUG. :D

BigV, since she apparently has problems with jacking the slide on an auto, have you considered a good J-frame .38 Special for your wife instead of the small auto? I carry one quite often simply because I like them. They're light, easy to conceal, and not punishing to shoot, especially with standard pressure ammo. In terms of stopping power, the .380 and .38 Special are roughly comparable.
  11. BigV

BigV New Member

I have a S&W model 60 that was sent to S&W over 8 weeks ago to have the hammer replaced. My wife likes my Firestar .40, but she thinks it's too heavy for her to carry. Since she is not very well versed in fixing problems encountered with 1911 style pistols, I think she will be better suited with a wheel gun. I hope the model 60 fits the bill. Less problems and when you pull the trigger the gun goes boom!
  12. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

I have found it much easier to rack the slide using the method that Massad Ayoob recommends: the Israeli method, or "slingshot technique." Here's how he describes it:

Here's the article from which the quote came: http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob031207.html
  13. Exactly so, BigV. The S&W 60 is an excellent weapon, though I would stay away from .357s in it if your wife is using it! :rolleyes: You might consider also one of the Smith aluminium alloy snubbies if weight is a concern. I have two Smith 637s fitted with different grips and often carry one or the other. I've found the recoil on these is not substantially different from the steel snubbies, even using the +P ammo for which they are rated. They weigh in at about 16 oz. and with good grips, they perform extremely well. Smith has priced the 637 at the low end of the spectrum, so you can usually pick one up for around $400 new.
  14. stash247

stash247 New Member

P-shooter's giving you some good advice!
    On the choice of auto's, I'd go with the Walther; I had (2) TPH's, out of Alabama, that had functional problems, the one I have now is 100%; the (5) PPK-S's,I've owned, all Alabama guns, were all 100% functionally! I like the lesser thickness of the Walther, over the tilt barrel of the Beretta; if your wife cannot perform an 'immediate action drill', on either weapon, a revolver is THE choice.
    And, while I'm sure this will start some debate, in a 2" revolver, at household/defensive distances, my ammo choice is a 140 gr flush seated wadcutter, right out of the target ammo box; full caliber hole, minimal recoil and flash= maximum results!
  15. Stash, why that load? I won't argue about its effectiveness, but wouldn't the old "Chicago" or "FBI" load serve the same purpose but serve it even better? A 158 grain lead hollow-point semi-wadcutter +P is a proven combo, and you might even get some expansion out of that lead bullet at close range. Personally, I prefer the new Speer 135 grain +P Gold Dot that is designed specifically to expand and penetrate reliably from a 2" snubbie. Some are calling it the "short barrel" load, and so far, the stats look very promising. Please understand, I'm not disparaging your choice; it's a reasonably good one and I suspect at close range you are going to get substantial bullet deformation with it, which is always a plus.