38's in a 357 Rifle?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by LDJ, Jul 31, 2012.

1. LDJ

LDJ Member

A friend just ask me if he could shoot 38 colt in his 357 Rifle, and he needed some reloading data. I gave him all the reloading data I had and I gave him a reloading book for 38 special I had. But I did not know if the 38 Colt would work.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It will chamber and fire with no problems.

In a single-shot it will be fine.

In a repeater, like a lever or a pump, because of the shortness of the cartridge it probably will not feed from the magazine.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

From experience, Alpo is right about them not feeding very good. They shoot just fine through Winchester 94 but feed terribly.
  4. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

If this is what was/is called the .38 Long Colt cartridge, it can according to the book Cartridges Of The World, be fired in .38 Special guns. It can because of it's shorter length leave a carbon ring in the chamber that might make shooting the longer cartridges difficult to chamber and extract. Same as using the .38 Special in .357 Magnum chambered guns. If he or you are planning to reload for this .38 Colt, it has different loading data than the .38 Special. There is also a .38 Colt Automatic cartridge that is the predecessor to the .38 Super, these shouldn't be fired in this rifle.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    You got some good advice here. Though the .38 will shoot in a .357mag gun, it will leave a deposit that will, if left in the gun, make chambering the longer round hard, if not impossible.
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I avoid 38's in my magnums also; a little here and there won't hurt anything but regular use is not recommended.

Also, even though a pistol round will shoot in the rifle, there is rifle specific loading data that will greatly improve performance and velocity.
  7. LDJ

LDJ Member

This is like shooting 45's in my 454 Redhawk. The cylinder has to be cleaned very good before I shoot the 454.
    Thanks for the input. I will pass all the info on to my friend.