1. Helldorado

Helldorado New Member

so ive got 4 lil piggies i caught in my trap i welded in highschool years ago. but now what do i do with them?? Ive got the idea to take the 4 heads in their entireity and give them to a nice mexican lady to make tamales. but what do yall normally do with the rest? im thinkin about smokin one whole pig for me and my friends over a huntin trip at the ranch soon. Any good recipies for pork sausage? you know like the jimmy dean stuff you cook for breakfast? ANy comments or ideas or recipies would be greatly appreciated!!!
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Congrats!

I do alot of trapping myself, but I'm not a huge sausage eater, when I do make sausage/smoked sausage links, I go to the guy here that process them and I buy his "fixins" by the LB because I cant make it as good as he does...Then I add it to the chunks before grinding/stuffing. I say I'm not a huge sausage eater, but if I can swing venison and pork...Man thats some good stuff!

Gonna smoke a whole one huh? Now your talking my language, the one thing that I've found that you may want to watch out for is that the ribs tend to get done long before the hams/backstrap on the young 'uns...I have no idea how to remedy that except to go as slow as possible, even at that I've had it where you can accidently take a bite out of the rib bone itself which is kinda nasty. I like my stuff HOT, so I brine the lil porker in water that is mixed with homemade chili powder, jalapeno powder, habenaro...Well, you get the idea. [​IMG]

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

Crpdeth
  3. Helldorado

Helldorado New Member

Sounds good! how long do you soak the pig in the brine mix? Does that help with keeping the meat from drying out while in the smoker? I thought about maybe putting a pot of water in the smoker also and maybe periodically pouring a lil bit of water over the pig while its cooking. would hate to put all the time into the pig and have it come out dry. Anyway thanx for the tips!
  4. firebird

firebird New Member

Hey Helldorado! I don't have any suggestions for cooking because I can't and don't cook (hell, I hardly even eat!)[​IMG]...I just wanted to tell you that I love your name![​IMG]
  5. Helldorado

Helldorado New Member

haha well thanx. I got it from a white zombie song. I wanna craft a really nice antique lookin sawed off 12 pistol...like something mad max carried :D Im gonna name it Helldorado and probably engrave it on there somewhere! Kinda ironic too since im a devout christian lol.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  6. firebird

firebird New Member

Nice! LOL! I think it's great, but what do I know?? I love skulls!!!

[​IMG]

7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Let us know when you get it finished and BATF&E has confiscated it. Make sure you send us your new address from the cross bar hotel. ;) :rolleyes:
  8. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

IPT, they won't confiscate if he contacts them first for permission to manufacture an AOD.

Helldorado, if you do the sawed off 12ga, make sure to get the right forms/permits, etc. It's possible, but MAKE SURE YOU DO IT BY THE BOOK.
  9. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

The last one soaked for 24 hours, give or take...Yes, it absolutely helps keep the pig from drying out and is a big reason for doing it in the first place, to make the meat "juicy", and of course we BBQ worshipers take advantage and try to embed some flavor in there at the same time, heck I've heard of all sorts of concoctions especially for brining birds. The pot of water is an great idea, when I bother with it I put it as close to the fire box as possible.

Tell ya what, it may increase your cooking time by constantly opening the lid, but I'd make up a "Mop" out of butter (lots of butter), onion, bacon, red bell peppers, mushrooms ect, and mop the ol' girl occasionally while cooking... Really seems to help and the left over reduced mop is good to pour over your meat in your plate.

Crpdeth
  10. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Believe it or not, the brine is NOT to *keep* the meat from drying out, but to HELP the meat to dry out.

Smoking is also part curing. The object behind the cure is to pull some of the moisture out of the meat. Some cures are pure salt. That's a "hard" cure. When you mix in some sugar, that's a "soft" cure, because the sugar helps retain some moisture.

Too much moisture on the surface of your meat can lead to a very "creosote" like flavor. When you smoke meat, you have to make sure the surface is dry before it goes in the smoke. Otherwise the nasty parts of the smoke end up sticking to the food.

The best way I know of to make a brine is to bring the specific gravity of the water up to the point that you can float a potato in the water. When a peeled potato floats, you've got enough salt/sugar.

My BBQ teacher (Baron Damon Deadtongue, the Barbecue Baron) taught me "If you're lookin' you ain't cookin'" Keep the lid on as much as possible.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  11. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Are you referring to brining while using a "cure"?

Brining while using a normal brine recipie clearly allows more moisture and spice flavors to penetrate the meat which keeps the meat moist longer and at higher temps.

Geeze man, I guess all the great BBQ chefs are doing it all wrong is all I can say. The nasty parts of the smoke?

Crpdeth
  12. Helldorado

Helldorado New Member

I have to agree with the Creeping Death...having the smokey mesquite(what I use anyway) flavor is the whole point of BBQing...well that and all the beer and whisky consumed in the mean time. Im sure it is possible to over do it to the point where it is nasty....but every brisket or any other cut of meat that ive smoked for at least 7-8 hours has always had such a great flavor from the wood smoke. Never anywhere near seeming to be too much. Possibly a case of different strokes for different fo'ks.

I do appreciate every bit of in put yall are tossin out here for me. Although Im not to sure about the whole specific gravity thing. I failed out of chemistry in HS and therefore never made it to physics :p So might have to speak in a BBQ for Redneck Dummies kinda way lol. I do like the idea of soakin the pig in the spice loaded brine over night though. And the buttery mop made my mouth water instantly. I had already planned on taking a bunch of chuncked veggies( onion, peppers, garlic, etc.) and tossing them in with the pig the last hour or so... mostly just for people to pick at for sides, but also to add a lil flavor. Im guessing it wont be much though since it wont have much time with the pig. oh well just an idea. What do you think about apple chunks?
  13. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

ROTF! You picked up on that one quick, I just wonder how many of the "Old family" here knew that one. :D

And hey, my comments are just my uneducated opinions I like to learn as much as I can every day, so although I may disagree, I'm listening, absorbing, always.

Anyway, all this talk about Qing sure is jacking my diet up!

Crpdeth
  14. Helldorado

Helldorado New Member

Yeah, Im a metalhead, been rockin to oldschool metallica since i was a wee child. Not sure if thats where you got it from but it definately matched up well with your avatar
  15. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Very old school Metallica here as well, I remember being on cloud nine when the band finally decided to do 'One' on MTV, It stayed on top of the viewer call in countdown for weeks untill 'Paradise City' eventually rose above it, then the two songs went back and forth forever. You remember that? How good do you have to be, to just appear on MTV, out of no where, with one song and immedately go to the top?...LOL, good memories hanging out with the select few friends who still manage to drop by and hang out these days.

Anyway.......LOL, we got into paintball hard and heavy for about 10 years and it seems that I was a little sleuth, so they eventually dubbed me Creeping Death.

Crpdeth
  16. Helldorado

Helldorado New Member

Ok not this weekend but the next, may 19-21, Im gonna cut and gut one of my lil piggies for the smoker. Ill try and remember to take pictures of it. Dont let me forget the pictures! :D
  17. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

I look forward to a review, especially with pics!

I had planned to smoke a brisket for a little gathering this weekend, but I just haven't had the time or energy, work has really picked up, so I'll make a snicker salad. :( Kinda bummed about that.

Oh well, ol' Dave will make enough crawfish to feed two opposing armies so we'll eat.

Crpdeth
  18. Helldorado

Helldorado New Member

mmmm crawfish! I havnt enjoyed a good mudbug boil in a long damn time. :( What do you normally do with your briskits?

Ive gotten word from the ranch that the lil pigs are gettin up to about 70lbs. with the smoker i have i wont be able to do them whole. so im thinkin about quarterin one and cuttin out the backstraps and tenderloin...pilling it all together to save space. Ill probably put the ribs in the middle of it all so they wont cook as fast. all pilled up with apple, onion, garlic, pineapple and maybe some papaya....what do ya think?
  19. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Good Lord, I ate crawfish untill I couldn't stand up.

I've done brisket so many different ways it aint funny, But one favorite is to stoke the fire up and get a good bed of coals for about an hour, then coat the thawed brisket with worshtesire sauce and a good brisket rub, I like it HOT so I'll usually spice that rub up with dehydrated, ground, homegrown peppers. Make sure the pit has fallen off to about 250 degrees (225 - 275 or there abouts) and put that baby on...Some people say "fat side down" and I'd agree if we wern't using an offset smoker, but since I do, I go fat side up as I think this allows the fat to reduce and render throughout the meat (at least somewhat) and to be honest sometimes I flip it half way through just to make sure the fat drippings havent "washed" all my rub off, then add some more rub. I'll use a probe themometer after 8 hours (depending on the size of the brisket of course, some say they smoke a small brisket in 4 - 5 hrs) and make sure the internal temp is up to about 160, then wrap her in foil for about an hour, then take it off the grate still in the foil, wrap it in some beach towels and set it in an ice chest for about an hour (towels and chest that are kept reserved for cooking, this will hold in the moist heat).

Sounds real good on quartering the oinker, making my mouth salivatate. :D

On that back strap, I might cook them half way through then foil 'em up with all those trimings...Just a thought.

Keep us updated.

Crpdeth
    Last edited: May 15, 2006
  20. rosierita

rosierita New Member

if you're pressed for space, keep a ham out & cure it! :D ;)

the way i do mine is 3 cups salt, 2 cups brown sugar, 1 cup pepper. put a towel in the bottom of a pan big enough to put the ham in, coat the towel & rub the mixture onto the bottom of the ham (place it fat side up), set the ham in the pan, finish coating it & cover it w/ another towel, put saran wrap over it & put it in the fridge. in 3 days, make your mixture again, change the towels & stick it back in the fridge. every few days after that, check your towels, if they are soaked, change them & make sure you've got plenty of mixture on the ham. do that for about 4 or 5 wks, then have it sliced. it is GOOD! :p