4" or 6"...that is the question....

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Tony Mig, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

My range is planning to hold practical shooting compitions every Sunday this summer, and I plan to attend every one of these I can. They'll be including a revolver catagory, and that's what I plan to shoot, but the only two revolvers I presently own are my Rossi snub nose..."too small", and my Ruger GP-100 6".
    I'm wondering if the Ruger's 6" barrel will be too long to be practical for this type of compition shooting.
    Would I be better off with a 4" barrel revolver......?
    or will this 6" gun work every bit as good.......?
  2. jlmckinney

jlmckinney New Member

Hi Tony Mig,

How well do you shoot the 6" right now? I'd say use what you have and if you don't like it, try a 4".

My GP-100, see info below, is a sweet shooter with great balance, to me at least.

JM
  3. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Tony, I think that Pup ought'a do fine!...;)
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I'd stick with the 6". More weight to dampen recoil and a longer sight radius. Go get 'em Tony!
  5. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I'd stick with the six. The longer the barrel, the easier it is to aim. If you can get a 4" get it, whether you shoot it in the compitition or not. :D You can never have too many guns!
  6. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.
    I was also thinking on the lines of a 4" as a home defense piece, the fact that it could double as a compition gun would help convince the wife that I really do need yet another gun.....;)

I'm kicking it around, and I'm looking at both the S&W 686, or going with another GP-100. I've got one shop that'll give me $300.00 trade-in for my Beretta 96, and they want $410.00 for a KGP-141, so I'd only have to save up $110.00 plus 6% sales tax, another $15.00 for the NCIC check, $20.00 for some Houge grips..(like I have on my GP-161)...and another $20.00 for an Uncle Mikes holster.....at least I already have the speedloaders and pouch....:rolleyes:

Before I do that, I want to take the 45 mile drive to another shop that has the S&W 686 for $535.00, this guy has a much better turnover of handguns, and "may" give me a better trade-in price for this Beretta. He also sells the GP-100's for under $400.00.
  7. jlmckinney

jlmckinney New Member

I don't know about you but I'd check out the local gun show if available. That's were I found my KGP-141, listed for $385 NIB! I finally paid another $5 because I bought it at owners office later that week! Only had to wait 10 min. for the background check!

Semper Fi

JM
  8. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Alas....I live in The Democratic People's Republic of New Jersey and there are NO gun shows in this bastion of liberalism.

Well I took the drive this morning to the shop in Vineland, NJ (the 45 mile trip I mentioned before) and this guy was willing to make a reasonable deal.
    He is giving me $350.00 for the Beretta, and is getting $535.00 for the 4" S&W 686, 6 shot. I left him with the Beretta, and when I return with my NJ State handgun purchaser's permit in about 2 weeks, I'll have to bring $198.00 to cover the remaining balance and sales tax. I figure by the time my permit gets issued, I'll have the money to cover the balance and the NCIC background check, and hopefully have enough to also bring home a cheap Uncle Mikes holster to hold me over til I can treat this new beauty to something in tan leather.
    The speedloaders I already own for my Ruger GP-100, also fit the 686, so that's covered, and since I already reload .38/.357's, I'm up to my elbows in ammo.

I'm excited, and can't wait to get it home, this will be my first Smith & Wesson revolver....I've owned many Rugers, and still have my GP-100, I own a Rossi snub nose .38, I had a few other revolvers in years past, but never a Smith & Wesson.......
  9. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Tony, You made a good trade and you're going to love the 686.

It will be perfect for the pistols matches at your club range. The longer sight radius + better balance will allow for faster follow up shots. And the smooooth S&W action can't be beat. Use .38 Spl wad cutters for target and .357 mag for bowling pins.

Do you reload ??
  10. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Absolutely....
    I have 148 gr. wadcutters loaded with 2.8 grs. of Bullseye. (.38Spl)
    158 gr. LSWC's loaded with 3.6 grs. of Bullseye. (.38Spl)
    158 gr. LSWC's loaded with 15.0 grs. of 2400. (.357Mag)

While at this gun shop today, I also picked up a brick of Winchester small pistol primers for $16.00, I was paying $25.00 for CCI's at the shop close to home....sometimes it pays to travel!

I think I'll also bring home a bottle of Unique when I go back to pick up my new 686.....I've been wanting to try that powder for a while now, and with this guy's prices being what they are......
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2004
  11. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

I once owned a 4" GP100 and a 6" 686 at the same time - both excellent 357s. In fact also owned a 2.5" and 4" 686 as well. If the current 686s are anything like the ones I have owned/own you will enjoy it as much or more as any other revolver you have ever owned. Let us know how it shoots!
  12. stash247

stash247 New Member

GREAT choice! The Smith has enough weight out front to keep up with a very rapid rate of fire, and the lockwork, if tuned, will absolutely make you cry.
    That L frame, like the K frame, has a VERY well engineered trigger/ locking arrangement, which, with a little help, can send 'em downrange at about 4#, double action, a real dream wheelgun.
    Hope you have a lot of fun wearing it out; it won't happen anytime soon, however.
  13. bigwilly11189

bigwilly11189 New Member

Hey what shop do you go to in Jersey. Is Harry's or the Sportsmen's any good with prices? Thanks.
  14. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

bigwilly11189

I'm in the Atlantic City area, and the shops around here that I usually frequent are.....
    Zeus Sporting Goods......Prices are high but good selection of guns and reloading supplies.
    Lawmen's Supply......Good prices, selection limited to LE & security type guns, no reloading supplies.
    Bellplain Supply......Prices are moderate to high, gun selection limited...(mostly shotguns black powder & hunting rifles)...limited selection of reloading supplies.
    Butch's Gun World.....Low prices, good selection of guns & reloading supplies.

Butch's is in Vineland, and the furthest of all thses shops from my home, but it's worth the drive when he offers $50.00 more for a trade in, and is asking over $100.00 less than anybody else on a brand new gun. This will be the second gun I've bought from him...(purchased a Springfield M1A there last summer)....and I believe I'll be returning there more often since his prices on reloading supplies is far better than any of the other shops in this area. The only down side to making the trip is that I drive a large gas hog of a pick up truck that sucks up close to a half tank of gasoline getting there and back........:rolleyes:
  15. Dave W.

Dave W. New Member

What he said!

Dave