4" vs 6" Barrel

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Casey, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Casey

Casey Member

Besides the 2" in sight radius difference is there really any noticable difference in accuracy between the same gun in either 4" or 6" barrel length?
    Say 25 - 50 yards? I love the looks of a 4" gun but always ended buying a 6" gun thinking its will be more accurate. Anybody have any experience with both?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

There is no "gun accuracy" difference. A gun with a two-inch barrel is just as inherently accurate as a gun with a ten-inch barrel. The thing is "shooting the gun accurately". The farther apart the front and rear sights are, the easier to see if you are off target even a little bit.

Elmer Keith shoot accurately enough with a 4" 44 magnum to kill at 600 yards. But then, he shot the gun often enough, and at distance, to know what he could and could not do.
  3. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

would agree with that..i used to bring home "tree rats" using a davis semi auto..it had maybe a 1 1/2 bbl on it? average shot 20 40 ft? but then i shot at least 200 rnds a week through it....fed family for a yr during lean times till gun wore out, not bad for a $10 pistol!!
  4. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Agree, no difference in the accuracy of the guns, just the shooter!
  5. johnboat

johnboat New Member

well depending on the type of ammo the shorter may give up 75-100 fps or so and if hunting is a possibility many states require a minimum of 6 ,although i agree the 4 "looks" better and if concealment is an issue 4 are also better here as well.
  6. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

This being the rifle/shotgun forum, I can't say I've ever seen either one with a barrel that short..........
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Casey, I will let you know when I get an off day that doesn't rain!!

I bought a Dan Wesson pistol pack last weekend and I am going to test exactly what you are asking about, when I get a chance. I am going to test the 2.5, 4, 6, 8, and 10 inch barrels, both supported and un-supported.

I just need some semi-clear weather so I can get to the range.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

:confused: :confused: :confused: I'm in the centerfire pistol forum??
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    There it is! The shorter the barrel the more velocity loss. As velocity drops, so does the bullet. But the accury should be the same no matter the barrel length on a given gun. Switch guns, and all bets are off.
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Moody, at 10:45AM (Central), yes you are in the Centerfire Pistol forum. Howsomever, at 5AM (Central), when I read Regular Joe's post, this was, in fact, in the Rifle/Shotgun forum. It appears it got moved.
  11. patrol

patrol New Member

I'd say scientifically speaking you add two inches to the barrel you are adding about 150 to 250 velocity in feet per second not to mention the longer sight radius.
    If Keith Elmer shot a target with a four inch barrel his groups would be tighter more than likely with a six inch barrel.

Anything beyond that would be skill. Also the fact that a longer barrel steadies your hand better and can help with less "flinching" during firing. Another issue to think about.....
    So yeah, over-all the longer barrel may matter.
  12. noslolo

noslolo New Member

As much as I love my 6inch 686, I wish it only had a 3-4 barrel. Some day I might have enough money to get one, but for right now, I'm just going to have to make do.
  13. whip

whip New Member

I love my 4 inch Colt Anaconda and my son's S&W 44 mag Mountain Gun. Both guns are very accurate. You do give up some velocity but at reasonable ranges I don't feel its that important. The big drawback with short barreled guns is the recoil. The plus is they are lighter to carry. The short barreled gun you have with you because its light to carry is better than the long barreled gun that's at home because its to heavy to lug around.
  14. Python

Python Former Guest

I believe the velocity loss is 50 fps. per inch?
  15. Python

Python Former Guest

I've got the 4 inch 686, love the "balance".