.40 Cal shot through my Kimber .45

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by BigV, Feb 20, 2006.

1. BigV

BigV New Member

Today at the range I was shooting my Eclipse ULE II .45 and my Firestar .40. Somehow got a .40 in one of the clips for my .45. The .40 caliber bullet cycled into the chamber and fired, but would not eject the spent casing. I field stripped the gun and had to pry the .40 casing out. The empty casing was expanded to a .45 diameter about ¾ the way up and was split down the side. I checked the remaining clips and fired about 100 rounds afterwards and no problems.
    Anyone ever do something similar??
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I use a rule of thumb. NEVER, EVER, keep two boxes of different ammo on the shooting bench at the same time! Therefore never had the problem. You are one lucky person.
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

With a very lucky hand and a very lucky face. :D
  5. KyBlaster

KyBlaster New Member

Good thing that wasn't a Glock! They don't much coaxing to Kaboom with the correct ammo. ;)
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Thanks, KyBlaster, never thought about that. Must have been steel, not plastic!
  7. Peanut Man

Peanut Man New Member

There are those out there too, who believe that the 100+ yr old Lee Enfield is still the best battle rifle. They make durable boats nowaday out of fiberglass not wood. Who needs a 4 lb pistol? Perfection!
    :) :)
    Peanut Man
  8. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

During the transition from revolvers to semi autos, the SO was training with PD. The SO were useing 10mm and we were useing 9mm. To make a long story short a 9mm got put into a 10mm mag. (You really had to work to do that.) It went bang, then a trip to the aromers to get the caseing out. :eek: :eek:
  9. BigV

BigV New Member

A couple of pic's:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Looks like you were trying to resize that one for .45. Too cheap to go get some more brass? :D :D :D
  11. Neil

Neil New Member

Thats pretty impresive. GO BUY A LOTTO TICKET RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!
  12. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I once accidentally got a .40 bullet into a 9mm case in the Dillon. but it didn't look as impressive as the pics, show. I discovered it as I was case gauging the rounds just loaded. It sits on the bench as a reminder. :eek:
  13. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I once took a 270 and 25-06 rifle to the range and stuck several 25-06 cartridges into the 270. Since both are based on the 30-06 case there was no serious case deformation but the 25 cal bullet rattled down the 270 bore and became so unstable on leaving the barrel that it hit all over the place, missing the target completely and striking on the ground all around the target. It took several shots to "find" the problem. There was no damage to the gun.

I now never take similar cartridge guns to the range on the same day!

LDBennett
  14. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

Yes, a friend of mine did...............I have a 45ACP & a 40 FireStar on my shooting bench and I had both ammo out and he pick up the 40 and fired in the 45ACP...............case got stuck in the barrel. But I did learn something that day.

only have one type of ammo and gun on your bench to fire at a time.
  15. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I was that friend and it was my lucky day. No damge but I did slip off and change my underwear, a little later when no one was looking. But I will bet the next time some shoots one of Kimber mans guns he make sure they load the right ammo. the case I fired looked just like yours.
    Ron
  16. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

358 winchester

I wonder why you were walking funny that day................now I know.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  17. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

I had an TWO things happen in one day. I went out to test some new loads. All was well when the guy next to me was shooting his 1911. It went like this.
    Bang bang fizzz...STOP STOP STOP. He had a primer in backwards. Nothing broke and no damage to anything. Later that day it was bang bang pop. Drop mag open action case comes out. Did not see an inpact so disasemble gun. In the barrel about 1/2" from chamber sat a 185gn hornady XTP. Pushed it out through the chamber look over things really well and no problems.

Ray
  18. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

A common reloading error: primer OK but no powder. The primer typically pushes the bullet into the barrel. Less attentive persons than you just fire another shot and the barrel bulges (rarely splits or breaks open and often the bulge is not easy to see). Now you got two bullets stuck in the barrel. Again, less attentive shooter might shoot still again! I have seen pictures of a disected barrel that had six bullets lodge in the middle of the barrel (revolver). I once bought a used S&W K22 revolver that at one point had a similar problem because it had a barely detectable bulge. I found it the first time I cleaned it by detecting a loose spot in the travel of the cleaning rod. Further inspection revealed the bulge on the outside (used a scale layed along the barrel and there it was!). I ultimately replaced the barrel (ruined its value) to get it to shoot well.

You best find a way to be sure you do not miss putting the powder into the case during reloading.

LDBennett
  19. Archie

Archie Member

Also possible to fire a 9x19 in a .40 chamber. Pretty much same result; case expanded and usually split, difficulty extracting.

The bullet in both cases is too small to obdurate, so the main thrust of the powder blows past the bullet. If you were chronographing the shot, velocity would be rather disappointing.

Still, one should make sure and put the right ammo in the right gun.