.40 Cal shot through my Kimber .45

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by BigV, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

358 winchester

I wonder why you were walking funny that day................now I know.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  2. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

I had an TWO things happen in one day. I went out to test some new loads. All was well when the guy next to me was shooting his 1911. It went like this.
    Bang bang fizzz...STOP STOP STOP. He had a primer in backwards. Nothing broke and no damage to anything. Later that day it was bang bang pop. Drop mag open action case comes out. Did not see an inpact so disasemble gun. In the barrel about 1/2" from chamber sat a 185gn hornady XTP. Pushed it out through the chamber look over things really well and no problems.

Ray
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

A common reloading error: primer OK but no powder. The primer typically pushes the bullet into the barrel. Less attentive persons than you just fire another shot and the barrel bulges (rarely splits or breaks open and often the bulge is not easy to see). Now you got two bullets stuck in the barrel. Again, less attentive shooter might shoot still again! I have seen pictures of a disected barrel that had six bullets lodge in the middle of the barrel (revolver). I once bought a used S&W K22 revolver that at one point had a similar problem because it had a barely detectable bulge. I found it the first time I cleaned it by detecting a loose spot in the travel of the cleaning rod. Further inspection revealed the bulge on the outside (used a scale layed along the barrel and there it was!). I ultimately replaced the barrel (ruined its value) to get it to shoot well.

You best find a way to be sure you do not miss putting the powder into the case during reloading.

LDBennett
  4. Archie

Archie Member

Also possible to fire a 9x19 in a .40 chamber. Pretty much same result; case expanded and usually split, difficulty extracting.

The bullet in both cases is too small to obdurate, so the main thrust of the powder blows past the bullet. If you were chronographing the shot, velocity would be rather disappointing.

Still, one should make sure and put the right ammo in the right gun.