.40 Grains for the Range

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by wingspar, Feb 6, 2010.

1. wingspar

wingspar Member

I know this subject has to be beat to death, but I couldn’t find this with a search, so here goes. I don’t need another center fire hand gun, but if I did, at this point in time it would be the Sig 226 or 229 in .40. Another 9mm would make more sense ammo wise, but something different, something I’ve never shot would be nice too.

So, what grain .40 rounds are the best and cheapest for the range?

With my 9mm, I shoot almost exclusively 115 grain, and I keep some 124 grain HP’s in the drawer at home.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

165 and 180 gr are the most common bullet wts in .40 s&w. 155 and 170 are also fairly common. The 165gr Rainier RNFP using Clays has been a great plinking combo for me. With my reloads at just under $10 / 50rnds, it's affordable and accurate. For factory, I'd recommend MagTech, should be able to find it for less than $20 a box.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Walmart usually has 180 grain Federal FMJ for less than $15 per box. Around me, .40 is the only handgun ammo they consistently have in stock.
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    you need to shoot what ever grain at the range that you depend on for self defense.if your life depends on your accuracy then stay as close as you can from target to defense. old semperfi
  5. wingspar

wingspar Member

Thank you for the info. That gives me an idea on ammo cost. Now that I know what grain to look for, it seems like I can find it cheaper than 9mm, or about the same cost. 180 grain is the most common weight I’ve seen mentioned, but till the last week or two, I have mostly ignored any threads to do with .40, so was curious as to what is common for the range. Whether I actually buy a .40 or not is uncertain. I certainly have no need for another center fire hand gun. I marvel at the beauty and engineering and close tolerances of a well built hand gun, and I’d just like to have one, and I see no reason to not try a new caliber if I do this.

As for my 9mm, I shoot targets with 115 grain. I do not carry, or even keep a loaded gun in the house, but if strange things start happening in the neighborhood, I do have a box of 124 grain Gold Dot HP’s, and have some Winchester Ranger in 124 grain +p that I have shot at the range.