1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

.40 S&W base bulge

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by clepidus, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Exactly. Once I get enough of a certain round, it gets its own container. I deprime it all with my universal, and tumble it. That way I can give it a once over.
  2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

same here. if I even think Imay ever own or laod for it.. i keep it.

i have die sets for cartridges i don't even reload yet.. but do have a gun .. and will stasrt relaoding for them when I get enough built up brass.
  3. erikk

erikk New Member

Get the LEE Bulge Buster Kit and a SS press if you want to keep it simple. I only use range brass in my 45's & encounter that situation all the time. "PLUNK" test all your rounds & use the kit for the ones that don't "PLUNK"
  4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

You get bulges in 45 brass? What are you shooting them from if you don't mind?
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I was wondering the same thing. Even the Glocks don't bulge the .45's that I've seen, only the .40's

what gun?

I would also run ALL your .40 brass through the base sizer, not just ones with visible bulges. Many with bulges will still fit easily into the chamber.
  6. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

I just finished de-bulging 200 S&W .40 clean and deprimed cases with the Lee de-bulging set-up. As expected some were hard to get though the die and others were easy. Just out of curiosity I ran several that seemed to be bulged the most though the die a second time. They were mostly as hard to get though the die the second time as the first. Then I ran several though the die as many as five times and they were still hard to get though every time.

When I get the time I'm going to sort them by head stamp and see if one particular brand has more problems than the others. I noticed that the nickel plated cases had, in general, less bulge than the plain brass.

I have a suspicion that some are made with a slightly larger diameter base than others and that is what I'm going to look for when I get the chance.
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I've noticed the same thing; running the 'tight' ones thru several times and they are about just as hard as the first time through.

and some slide right thru, others need some oomph.
  8. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I didn't address this post for a while as a lot of people gave appropriate advice long before I came across it.
    However, I'll add that I use a carbide Redding G-RX die (because of my Glock 23) and it works just fine. And to note that I've come across plenty of range brass that also shows the same bulge but without a Glock firing pin strike on the primer. This shows me that Glock .40 fired brass isn't the only brass needing this treatment.
    (My Taurus and Firestorm .40's are two that don't need the treatment.)
  9. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I'm also curious to find out what other .40's don't fully support the chamber. The M&P seems to not cause any bulges, anyone know of another brand besides Glock that has similar issues?