.40 S&W Dimensions

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Jefflesh, May 3, 2004.

1. Jefflesh

Jefflesh New Member

First of all I must warn you that I am new to the world of reloading. That being said, I have a few questions concerning the .40 S&W load. I picked up the reloading book "One Book / One Caliber" I am thinking that this was a wast of time and money. Anyway, the book specified that. The book states on page 41 to adjust the die to produce a firm taper grip. That is fine in all but, what is a firm taper grip?

I decided to get a little better book and purchased Lyman's 48th edition Reloading Handbook. Page 341 contains the information for the .40 S&W load. The round drawing on the top of the page states that the crimp diameter should be .423"; the problem is my case only measures .422"; I set my crimp to be .419". Is this sufficient or should I change it to something else?

Furthermore, the dimension OAL length is specified at 1.135. However, in the section for a 135 grain projectile 1.085" is specified as the OAL. In the first book it staed that 1.085" is the minimum OAL. Is it ok to increase the OAL to something more than 1.085"?

Press Information: Dillon RL 550 B with Dillon dies.

Any help would be great!!

Thank you all for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Hi Jeff and welcome to TFF. Let's see what we have here. First off, it took me a while to find a load with a 135 gr bullet. Finally found one in Lee's loading manual.

might want to read that again. If it is true, then what I would guess they are referring too is a "taper crimp" which grips the bullet in the case mouth. I recommend a taper crimp die for any auto pistol round as the case headspaces on the front rim of the cartridge.

Are you measuring right at the case mouth AFTER the bullet it seated? I would think .419 might let the case slip into the chamber too far and cause excessive pressure of it goes off while being pushed into the barrel. What I need you to do here is to seat a bullet without a crimp and measure the case mouth. It should be more than .423 if you belled the case mouth before seating the bullet. Take a measurement for us. Then turn the crimp die all the way out so it does not crimp when a round is inserted. Slowly start to adjust the die so that it start to take off the bell. Measure the case mouth. If not .423 then adjust it down until it is. This should solve that problem.

OAL of 1.135 is Maximum for all bullet lengths. however, your little 135 gr is a small bullet and therefore will come out to be 1.085" with that bullet.

Get back to us with how you are doing.
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Glad to see you at TFF, Jeff.

Hope you will stay around and join the family often.

Be sure and let us know how you're doing with the reloads.

Attached Files:

4. Jefflesh

Jefflesh New Member

Thanks for the replys. Sorry for the type-o I ment to say taper crimp. I do have a Dillon crimp die I just wasn't sure on the proper way to set it. I think I found the setup procedures in another manual. I still have questions concerning the case size. As I stated in my first post, I am supposed to crimp the case mouth to .423" my poblem is that my case is already smaller than .423"; I have a case diameter of .422". Additionally, I read that the case length should be .850"; when I measure my cases I am getting measurements of .834". Even a Winchester white box factory cases measure .837". I assume that this is OK as everything have tolerance but, what are the limits?

Last question for the night. I made some rounds and a friend told me that I crimped them too much. That being said, I broke down all the ammo but I want to know what to do with the cases with the live primers? I knkow that I am not supposed to de-cap live primers and I am not going to but, I want to make sure that nobody else can get hurt by them.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Jeff
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

You are over crimping the case. Do as I asked in my last reply and fix it! Which Dillon crimp die do you have?? Roll or Taper?
  6. Jefflesh

Jefflesh New Member

I have the tapper die.
  7. ACC

ACC New Member

welcome jefflesh:
    .850 on case lenght is maximum lenght. If you are using a taper crimp set it as follows.Wind your taper crimp in the up directionuntil it is even with the bottom of the top plate. with loaded cartridge in the crimp station, put the ram all the way to the up position.wind the die down till you feel it resistance on the cartridge, pull the ram down a bit, and then wind the die down about 3/4 of a turn.tighten die,you are all set. 1,135 is max OAL for 180 and 160 grain bullets(i believe)1.085 is good for the 135.
    have fun!!!!!!!BTW with the brass that has the live primers in them. take the de capping pin out, and resize them,you'll be fine.