40 s&w reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bighoss, Oct 2, 2011.

1. bighoss

bighoss New Member

i am reloading my 40 s&w and i noticed that on some of the rounds i did for dummy rounds when i seated the bullet there was a bulge were the bullet was seated at and i cant fig out why the dummy rounds i did chamber fine i am just woundering why they did that and they are fmj not lead
  2. garydude

garydude Member

Hello Bighoss,
    Welcome to the forum!:ya:

What you are describing could be completely normal, or it could be a problem that needs to be fixed. What we need to know is the magnitude and position of the bulge you are referring to. If possible, a few pics would help us clear up the issue.

Thanks!
  3. bighoss

bighoss New Member

ok i will take some pics it is a little bulge

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  4. bighoss

bighoss New Member

sorry about the blurry pics but u can see it it is just at the end of the bullet were it is seated
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum, bighoss!

I have had the same "problem" for many years with just about all straight walled brass, and it is not a problem at all. Basically it is normal, when you resize the brass the inside diameter is pushed down to, lets say .399 and then you shove a .401 bullet into that hole, something has got to give so the brass bulges a tiny bit. The chamber of the pistil is sufficient to handle that bulge. That is the best way I can describe it!!
  6. bighoss

bighoss New Member

ok thanks ya i was not sure of it and how any why it did
  7. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

Agree with the above, however, I have had instances of Berry's plated bullets that seated crooked. There was a bulge on one side of the case only. As long as you see the bulge band all the way around the case at the base of the seated bullet and the round drops freely into the chamber and feeds, not a problem.
  8. bighoss

bighoss New Member

ya you see it all the way around it just it seem like that side you can see it more
  9. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Cant tell from the picture but if you are excessively crimping it will reveal the bullet throught the brass a little more than normal, otherwise unless it is the incorrect diameter bullet the slight indication in the brass is fine. If it is on one side and not all the way around the cartrige evenly thats an indication that the bullets are starting out crooked when seating, maybe you don't have a good match with seater plug and bullet nose.
  10. bighoss

bighoss New Member

they are stright when i start them i mesuard the case after resizing and the case is like .396 and the bullet is .400
  11. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I see a bright ring around the case mouth, that makes me think you are crimping the bejesus out of them, I guess thats ok if they have a mild powder charge just use caution as 40 can produce really high pressures with slight changes. SO I'd lighten up the crimp and see if the appearance of the bulge decreases.
  12. warhorse1

warhorse1 Member

If they chamber ok, they'll be fine. If you'll seat and crimp as separate operations you'll likely see most of the bulge go away. I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die on all my pistol cartridges for the final operation, it pretty much eliminates the bulge you get using some of the various brass and bullets together.
    wh1