40 s&w reloads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mitchell38, May 21, 2012.

1. noylj

noylj Member

http://www.google.com/url?source=img...JMdBrB-KO2UVeA

>Supported on the left, un-supported on the right.

I would call it "partially supported" on the left, and "VERY un-supported" on the right.

To me, the .40 S&W is not a well designed cartridge and the original guns were built for police "one time only" use.
    The .40 is as easy to load as any other straight-wall cartridge, but it is even more sensitive to bullet set-back or a slightly too heavy charge weight than the 9x19. This leads to LOTS of .40S&W KaBooms.
    Then, you have action pistol "gamers" who load it with bullets over 180gn in weight (I remember a couple of reloading manuals from 10 years ago expressly warning to NEVER load a bullet over 180gn in the .40 S&W) with powders at the extreme end of fast burning. Thus, a lot of gamers are shooting a very sensitive and temperamental round well outside of recommended loads.
    If you stay at 145-180gn bullets and AA5 or slower powders, you can have a lot of fun with the .40.
    For myself, I have a simple rule--IF I can visually SEE any bulge, then that case has been permanently ruined and I crush it. If I can't visibly see the bulge, I run it through my bulge buster. I also DON'T load near max loads and DON'T shoot bullets heavier then 175gn.
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Noylj,

Agreed and well put, some choose to disregaurd the special cautions required for this cartrige and treat it as a more insensitive, lower pressure round. The .40 is reloadable but with the characteristics that you outlined is precisely why It shouldnt be a reloaders first.
  3. dbach

dbach Member

I have never seen a case bulged like this: http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/...t=7742119C.jpg

Obviously it exists, it must be from a very old glock? Is it a photo of one of your casings or did you find it on the web somewhere? With all respect and no offense intended the photo looks photoshopped. Just curious.

What I do see is a slight bulge just above the base of the spent brass and it bulges all the way around. Nothing as pronounced as the brass in the photo. My Glock 23 (.40 S&W) is about 12 years old and the brass does bulge. I carefully inspect my spent brass and reload it as I would any other. I do use mid range loads.

The redding die removes the bulge .... no problem.

Berrys 180 gr plated FN
    Hodgdon Universal @ 5 grains
    OAL of 1.25"

I bought a new Lone Wolf barrel with conventional rifling and soon will be shooting cast bullets (boolits).

See: http://www.gundigest.com/reloading-handloading-articles-advice/shooting_fixglockbulge

Here is an example of what I see (note: this photo was copied off the web, it is not a piece of my bulged brass, it does represent what I see in my casings prior to bulge removal).

Attached Files:

4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Post #15 first link (Glock Bulge). Link copied below (but may not work).

http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/t457/gahunter12/Snapbucket/?action=view&current=7742119C.jpg

This case came very close to blowing out!!! Had it done so, there would likely have been significant damage to any polymer frame pistol. Had it done so in a 1911 type pistol, the shooter would likely be bleeding from the face as a result of hot gases and brass being directed into his/her face. {Have personally seen 3 instances of such in the last 5 years.}

What you see in subject photo is likely caused by a gross over pressure condition. Possible causes include wrong load or the bullet being seated too deep in the case at the time of firing. If a gross over-pressure condition did not cause this then the cartridge case was either defective in manufacture, or had been reloaded an excessive number of times.
  5. Gahunter12

Gahunter12 Active Member

That's a pic from a Gen2 Glock. This pic was copied from a fourm. The guy had a handful bulge like that. I don't load to max since all my loads are for IDPA min power factor. The bulge that you show in your pics, which are more common in the newer Glocks, and other 40s&w pistols today. My XD's, and XDm's all bulge the cases like that from time to time. I notice it more in my Self Defense ammo when I shoot up the older ones for fresh ammo. I am able to remove the bulge with my Dillon dies, and have never had issue.
  6. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Other than liability part of the reason that companies don't want you to shoot reloads, is because I am sure the ammo companies prod them and maybe even give them kickbacks to recommend that. If they felt they could get away with it, the ammo companies would probably recommend pure gold bullets as long as they made a good profit margin.
  7. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Not necessarily. A couple of years ago I blew up my Gen3 23, twice, before I did some research to find that the problem was with the pre-Nov. 1995 Federal Hydra-shok ammo I was using. Both times the case head blew completely off w/o any damage to the polymer frame. And oh yeah, I knew it when it happened.

Previously on TFF.......

Quote:
    Originally Posted by S&W-4me
    Hello Bob
    check this link, interesting.
    http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

Oh well, a lot of fodder has been sent downrange since then and a lot of it has been handloads, all w/o a hitch or glitch. I don't go crazy with my loads either so I'm sure it's a big help in that department. I've been telling myself to get an aftermarket barrel for it but I just don't listen. Please follow the link above and read up; it's interesting and educational.
  8. Sherrer1*

Sherrer1* Member

Im about to reload for my glock 23 40 cal. trying to figure out what die I need. A 3 0r 4 piece. Whatever i get I like to buy it in rcbs.
  9. noylj

noylj Member

Sherrer1*:
    Are you loading on a progressive or single-stage?
    Dies for a progressive would be:
    • any company's carbide sizing die
    • any company's (Dillon, Lee, Hornady, RCBS) powder-through expander powder measure, powder die, and cartridge-specific powder-through expander insert
    • any company's seating die
    • any company's taper crimp die.
    RCBS and Hornady, last time I checked, had three dies:
    • carbide sizing die
    • dedicated expander-only die
    • seating and crimp die
    This is fine for single stage, where you'll use a bench-mounted powder measure for case charging and you may want to combine seating and crimp.
    However, for a progressive you will want a powder-through expander powder measure and the powder-through expander inserts (PTXs or powder-funnels as Dillon calls them).
  10. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

I have been running my .40 cal brass thru the lee bulge buster. For my G22. I really don't know if I need to. Better safe than sorry
  11. mitchell38

mitchell38 Former Guest

sorry it took so long to reply,been reading all the posts and i think i'm in good shape,no bulge and the cartridge seems to be fully supported in the sigma,getting my ducks in a row and should be dropping my first charge in a few weeks,thanks again for all the help
  12. 1in9twist

1in9twist New Member

Perfectly said.
  13. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Active Member

NOT a dam thing wrong with the design of the 40 cal,,, just the "glock pistol"..
    i have 4 and non of them have ever shown any type of bulge- -
    a beretta-96
    2 star firestar's
    a S&W stealth
    and reloading is the same as all my other calibers
    but i have rebarrelled quite a few "glocks" to eliminate this problem !!!
  14. Wildone72

Wildone72 New Member

I have heard this about Glock and from what I learned talking to Glock is that they say that so if someone uses past max load and a failure happens it covers them. I do know if you shoot any Atlanta arms ammo you are shooting reloads. That is what they do. I know you do not want to shoot full lead ball ammo from a Glock due to the phosphate coating on the barrel.