40 s&w reloads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mitchell38, May 21, 2012.

1. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Other than liability part of the reason that companies don't want you to shoot reloads, is because I am sure the ammo companies prod them and maybe even give them kickbacks to recommend that. If they felt they could get away with it, the ammo companies would probably recommend pure gold bullets as long as they made a good profit margin.
  2. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Not necessarily. A couple of years ago I blew up my Gen3 23, twice, before I did some research to find that the problem was with the pre-Nov. 1995 Federal Hydra-shok ammo I was using. Both times the case head blew completely off w/o any damage to the polymer frame. And oh yeah, I knew it when it happened.

Previously on TFF.......

Quote:
    Originally Posted by S&W-4me
    Hello Bob
    check this link, interesting.
    http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

Oh well, a lot of fodder has been sent downrange since then and a lot of it has been handloads, all w/o a hitch or glitch. I don't go crazy with my loads either so I'm sure it's a big help in that department. I've been telling myself to get an aftermarket barrel for it but I just don't listen. Please follow the link above and read up; it's interesting and educational.
  3. Sherrer1*

Sherrer1* New Member

Im about to reload for my glock 23 40 cal. trying to figure out what die I need. A 3 0r 4 piece. Whatever i get I like to buy it in rcbs.
  4. noylj

noylj New Member

Sherrer1*:
    Are you loading on a progressive or single-stage?
    Dies for a progressive would be:
    • any company's carbide sizing die
    • any company's (Dillon, Lee, Hornady, RCBS) powder-through expander powder measure, powder die, and cartridge-specific powder-through expander insert
    • any company's seating die
    • any company's taper crimp die.
    RCBS and Hornady, last time I checked, had three dies:
    • carbide sizing die
    • dedicated expander-only die
    • seating and crimp die
    This is fine for single stage, where you'll use a bench-mounted powder measure for case charging and you may want to combine seating and crimp.
    However, for a progressive you will want a powder-through expander powder measure and the powder-through expander inserts (PTXs or powder-funnels as Dillon calls them).
  5. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

I have been running my .40 cal brass thru the lee bulge buster. For my G22. I really don't know if I need to. Better safe than sorry
  6. mitchell38

mitchell38 Former Guest

sorry it took so long to reply,been reading all the posts and i think i'm in good shape,no bulge and the cartridge seems to be fully supported in the sigma,getting my ducks in a row and should be dropping my first charge in a few weeks,thanks again for all the help
  7. 1in9twist

1in9twist New Member

Perfectly said.
  8. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

NOT a dam thing wrong with the design of the 40 cal,,, just the "glock pistol"..
    i have 4 and non of them have ever shown any type of bulge- -
    a beretta-96
    2 star firestar's
    a S&W stealth
    and reloading is the same as all my other calibers
    but i have rebarrelled quite a few "glocks" to eliminate this problem !!!
  9. Wildone72

Wildone72 New Member

I have heard this about Glock and from what I learned talking to Glock is that they say that so if someone uses past max load and a failure happens it covers them. I do know if you shoot any Atlanta arms ammo you are shooting reloads. That is what they do. I know you do not want to shoot full lead ball ammo from a Glock due to the phosphate coating on the barrel.