$400.00 for a bolt action???

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by vabuckbuster, Apr 28, 2011.

1. vabuckbuster

vabuckbuster New Member

I already have the Ruger SS target semi, and would like to move to a bolt action. I can get a heavy barrel in these 3 brands for 400.00.....which would be the best choice? Marlin. CZ, or Savage? Thanks
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

best for whom ? ;)

i like CZ

PS welcome !
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I too like CZ rifles, you cant beat the fit and finish compared to marlin and savage, whos guns are very accurate, but a little rough in fitment.
  4. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I like both the Savage and the Marlin. If you get one of these two make sure you get the accutrigger, It is the best trigger I have ever used. They are very accurate also.
  5. smallboar

smallboar New Member

I'm lusting after a varmit savage myself
  6. artabr

artabr New Member

I'd go for the CZ.
    Great rifles for the money.

Art
  7. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

'Best' is very subjective. I've been very pleased with my Savage MK II BTVS - got it a couple of years ago for $330 at Cal Ranch. Solid as a brick - zero problems and it shoots a lot better than I do IMHO - you'd not regret getting one.
  8. Desmond

Desmond New Member

Hey gang. I guess I've lurked long enough so let me give you my creds and then I'll put in my two cents worth.

I am 64 years olds and grew up in southeast Oklahoma. From the age of about 12 onward there was a Remington 341 Sportsmaster leaning in the corner of my bedroom. I couldn't count the number of rounds I've put through that gun. I've owned a mess of .22 rifles in those years, all of which I wish I had back. Bolts and semiauto's and single shots, a Stevens Favorite, numerous Mossbergs and Springfields and Winchesters, a Mauser .22 trainer and a Springfield M2, I think that's what it was.

Two days ago I took possession of a CZ 452 American in 22LR and I gotta tell ya I was really impressed. Beautiful Turkish walnut stock, the fit and finish of the metal is easily on a par anything Winchester or Remington ever put out. The bolt and trigger is smooth and solid and will only get smoother as it works in. And this is a big gun, scaled to an adult. Heavy due to the bull barrel but nicely balanced. I ordered a set of 11mm scope rings from Brownell's and will be topping the gun with a varible scope, power and brand yet to be determined.

Check out Gallery of Guns, galleryofguns.com for their CZ offerings. I liked the CZ so well that I will be ordering another next week, a 452 FS, full stock 22LR but will shoot it with iron sights as it has that sort of humpback stock that fit open sights more than a scope.

I said all that to say this, the CZ will give you a lifetime of fine shooting and will really stand out in a crowd. Nothing at all wrong with the Marlin or the Savage but the CZ will be a head turner and shoot equally well if not a tad better.

Desmond
  9. firelegs22

firelegs22 New Member

If you're on a budget, I suggest Savage. If you have the money to fold, I would look at the CZ. I love my savage and have had no problems with it, but the CZ has the edge as far as the stock and finish. The main reason that I went with Savage is that I wanted a thumbhole stock. Marlin makes good rifles, but I have no experiance with the rimfires.
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to all of you new people!
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome everyone i like marlin and savage but of coarse those are the only two i have shot
  12. BikerNut

BikerNut New Member

I have a lot of experience with Savage .22 rifles, and I'm amazed at their accuracy.

I know a lot of people with CZ rifles that they truly love.

Don't have experience with Marlin rifles, but I'd be surprised if they were less than excellent firearms.

It's really hard to find a bad bolt action .22 rifle nowadays, so whichever you choose, it will serve you well.

But you don't have to choose. Buy one now, save your money, then buy another one later. And then another...
  13. pawn

pawn New Member

Another vote for CZ. Per dollar spent, best you can get IMHO :)
  14. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

CZ hands down. Only bad thing I've found about a CZ....can't own just one. Savage is accurate, so is the CZ but the fit and finish on the CZ is a lot better. Savage has the accutrigger but the CZ trigger can be just as good with very little work. I've shot the Savage, but I own 3 CZ's.
  15. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Another vote for the CZ.