.40cal in a 1911 pistol???

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by chocoboy, Dec 11, 2003.

1. chocoboy

chocoboy New Member

I read somwhere (not sure if it's in this forum) that .40 cal is not advisable for a 1911 pistol. Something to do with pressure in the chaber. They say that .40cal ammos produce more pressure than the 1911 can handle compared to .45 cals. thus making the round unreliable for self-defense. Please...someone shed some light into this. It would surely be nice to have a Kimber CDP in .40 cal... less recoil n more rounds. Sometime soon... I hope :cool:
  2. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

I'm no expert here, but the 1911 is strong enough to handle pressures much higher than the 45 ACP produces. It is the 45ACP case that is the weak link. The case is not fully supported at the ramp point of the barrel and thus leaves a portion of the case that does not have steel enclosing it. The 45ACP case is too thin to handle very high pressure because of it's wall thickness.

The 45Super, 45SMC are externally the same dimesions of the 45ACP but have thicker walls designed to handle higher pressures. These cases can produce pressures much higher than the 45ACP.

How well the 40 performs in the 1911? Not familiar with it.
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

I have owned several 1911's in .40 cal.

The Para P-16 had a Briley ramped match barrel.

My race gun used a Schumann ramped barrel.

No problems.

The recoil on any 1911 in .40 or .45 is hardly noticable.

BTW, the .40 cal is a reliable self defense round.
  4. chocoboy

chocoboy New Member

so why don't they make more kimbers in .40 cal? Why is the .45cal still the preferred caliber? From what i know the .40cal is much much better that the .45 in terms of stopping power. More speed and still has the mass of a good bullet. Well, i could be wrong. Correct me if i am :p
  5. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Good question to stir up some stuff!!

While you do get a few more rounds in a .40, the .45 still packs a harder punch. Think of it this way, in terms of conservation of energy. If a .40 blows right through a target and barely slows down, it has transmitted no energy to the target other than making a hole. A .45, while slower, has larger frontal area, even if unexpanded, and does a better job of transmitting its energy to the target. Given all the variables governing handgun bullet expansion, I go with the .45 since its bigger than most others before it ever expands. More energy "left in the target" means more effective in my book.

I'm old and crusty when it comes to this, big slow bullets rule....

Just one guys opinion, some of you .40 dudes jump in....
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

"Why is the .45cal still the preferred caliber?"

Because .45ACP has been a proven man-stopper for over 90 years. When it comes to handgun stopping power, .45ACP is the standard against which all others are measured.
  7. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

yeah ,what x said
  8. chocoboy

chocoboy New Member

ok, so are those opinions governed by favoritism towards .45 cal or supported by real facts. Don't u think the .40 cal can and will outperform the .45cal if given more time and opportunity in the self-defense world? I'm not trying to start a holy war on which is better. Just wanna know which cal should my next pistol will be. I already have a P99 in .40cal. I'm planning to buy a new 1911 and was just wondering why only few .40 cal 1911 are out there. Thanks though for all the insights regarding this issue. :cool:
  9. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

chocoboy, In my opinion, it's up to the individual considering the new gun, and it's intended use. There's a lot of factors in the equation. Competition, Combat shooting or strictly personal protection?

I agree the 40S&W is a good round. Generally speaking, it's slower than a 9mm, with more punch value. With that said, as Xracer reiterated... the 45cal, round is time tested and "is the standard against which all others are measured."

The evolution in our local PD's were 38's, 357's. 9mm's, then and now 40S&W.

But, on the fireing line you're liable to see a range of calibers. ;)

As far as KABOOMS (guns blowing apart), you could have possibly read here at TFF, the misfortunes of the GLOCK... certainly NOT the 1911. :D
  10. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

The 9mm which now is looked upon as a weak cal. ,is almost ballisticly the same as a .40 , the .40 is only 1mm larger than the 9mm , the claim to the man stopping power of the .40 cal ,is based only on this 1mm , there is no other scientific reason ,no matter how you debate the two calibers is will always come back to this

Some 9mm's are a bit weaker than the .40 depends on manufacturer; some .40's are a bit higher as well

now with that being understood

the .45 is 5 calibers larger than the .40 ,which would translate into around 2mm

ballisticly the .45 is a bit slower but ,the foot-pounds of energy is equal to the .40 ,but due to the twist of the rifle ,the 2mm larger caliber ,it will expand much larger than both the 9mm and the .40

Now in English

it puts a big freakin hole in whatever it hits
  11. chocoboy

chocoboy New Member

Zigzag... Just wondering, why do most of the law enforcement agencies now use .40cal instead of .45cal? Any thoughts on these in law enforcement perspective?

Gpostal... Yup, your post is most convincing :) Well explained! Thanks... :) I guess its a .45cal for my next pistol :)
  12. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

the added rounds per mag.
  13. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

I also think allot of it has to do with marketing, companies market their products with allot of facts and some fiction, with a dash of brainwashing

i remember when the .40 and the 10mm both came out and was in competition for the "new ultimate caliber" , this was at a time that allot of Leos were still carrying wheel guns , high capacity mags where in full swing ,and not even a hint of outlawing them

i also read several articles back then {around mid to late 80's}

"One shot stopping power " between all pistol calibers {excluding the .44 magnum}, according to autopsies and ballistic gels the .357 magnum was the only single shot winner ,followed closely by the .45acp

I have read in the past few years that the .357 magnum is now considered a weak round {lol}
  14. plunker

plunker New Member

The Spray and pray theory??

Seriously more rounds the better in that profession.

plunker
  15. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Best line ever regarding High Caps -

"How many does that thing hold, boy?"

"13 in the mag and two spares"

"hmm, must plan on missin' a lot."