.40cal recommendations?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by CBR1000RR, Oct 21, 2004.

1. CBR1000RR

CBR1000RR New Member

Hey yall I need your recommendations on a good .40S&W pistol. I know most prefer the .45 but I got one of em already ordered, 1911 of course. I already have a 9mm cz. Now I'm interested in the .40cal load...so far Ive test shot the Glock and HK usp. liked em both of course, prefer the usp actually. Anyone have experience with S&W or Sig? I would prefer a full size pistol. :D
  2. Glocker

Glocker New Member

I guess you can take this with a grain of salt, but based upon my experiences with the caliber, I really couldn't recommend using it at all.

I've owned a G23, Beretta 96, and a Baby Eagle. Try as I might, I couldn't get any of them to shoot straight. Since I shoot other calibers just fine, I've concluded that the caliber itself is inherently inaccurate. Either that, or all 3 guns were lemons. I don't think I want to try it a 4th time to find out.

Personally, I'd recommend 357SIG instead.
  3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Got the wife a Walther P-99 in 40. Only one that would "fit" her hand right.
    No complaints....so far. :D

(edit) The German model, not S&W. ;)
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
  4. Smoky14

Smoky14 Member

Oddly enough I bought a Ruger P944 in blue just to see if I liked the 40S&W. It has now gone approx 6K rnds without malfunction and I can keep them in a 3in. group at 25 yrds. I find I can shoot it better than any of my 9mm pistols.

That sir is my 02 cents worth. I can shoot my Ruger better that a very expensive HK USP40c. Yes I do like the 40S&W.

Smoky
  5. Rembrandt

Rembrandt Member

Browning High Power...
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I agree wholeheartedly.

Browning Hi-Power Practical in .40 would be the cat's meow!!

:) :)
  7. Cheimison

Cheimison Former Guest

The Walther P99 is the most comfortable gun I've ever held. USP .40 has to be good if it's anything like the 9mm.
  8. njretcop

njretcop New Member

If'n ya wanna pay the price, don't over look the Sig 239 in .40........

Compact to carry, fits the hand well and is dead on accurate.
  9. lead

lead Well-Known Member

Alot of police dept's here carry the Glock 22. My local shop is getting a couple trade-ins in the next couple of days and I'm real tempted to get one myself.
  10. rjjrwi

rjjrwi New Member

Para Ordnance 14 LDA, 1911 type gun , 10round mags , really good trigger
  11. punchie

punchie Member

Kahr K40/PM40 or the CZ40B are both very nice. The CZ replicates the size and grip of a Colt Commander very well plus it is da/sa with ten shots, utterly dependable and decent accuracy. The Kahr is a nice carry piece, very slim, decent trigger, and very good accuracy from such a small gun but limited capacity
  12. SB44mag

SB44mag New Member

Try the Springfield Armory XD. It's been a great shooter for me.
  13. denfoote

denfoote New Member

It might be heresy, but here goes!!

Smith and Wesson SW40VE!!!!
    I have an SW40F that's the cat's meow!!
    But, they don't make this one any more.
    So, the SW40VE will have to do!!

Think out of the box!! They really are good guns!!
  14. DK76

DK76 New Member

I have heard and read that the 40 S&W is an inherently inaccurate round many times, but I have shot some VERY accurate 40's. A CZ 75 and SIG PRO that I had the pleasure to shoot would keep up with my much more expensive Kimber in 45 ACP. In fact I have shot a handful of CZ 75's in 40 and 9mm. They were all incredibly accurate. The Ruger and Glock 40's I shot were decent to very good. Only 40 I shot that really didn't impress me was a Beretta, but it shot good enough for it's intended purpose. So actually most 40's I shot were pretty darn good shooters.
  15. Cheimison

Cheimison Former Guest

.40 is a functionally accurate round. 10mm is more accurate, but its also a semi hunting round. 9mm is more accurate, but I don't think I'll ever have to shoot anything far enough away for it to matter. So for a defensive pistol .40 is plenty accurate, comparing it to .357 Mags is just silly.