40mm "chalk rounds"

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by 3/2 STA SS, Jul 5, 2012.

1. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Are these legal to sell? I would assume so if you had the 40mm launcher since they don't explode. They have the weight in the front and when impacted on the target the bright orange smoke/chalk appears.

2. medalguy

medalguy Member

Feb 20, 2009
    New Mexico
    Yes they are legal to own or sell. They are practice rounds, no explosive in them, and they are propelled by a .38 S&W blank cartridge which can be pushed out and replaced to reuse them.

3. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Thanks...I have two of them and some illumination rounds to a "ferry pistol" I had in an ammo can I forgot I had.

4. medalguy

medalguy Member

Feb 20, 2009
    New Mexico
    Don't drop them on your floor. That orange powder is hell to get out of carpet. Trust me on that. :rolleyes:

5. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I can imagine...thanks. We fired dozens of the in the USMC but my favs were the HEDP rounds.:D

6. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    florida
    anyone ever practice with concrete rounds?

7. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I can't say that I have heard of those...:confused:

8. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

All the ones I have fired in my life I had no idea that they were propelled by a blank....but now that I look more closely at the primer I see that.

9. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Ohio
    Why does one fire "chalk" rounds?

10. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Uncle Sam-aka-The US Military- uses them for practice and saves the high explosive stuff for combat. A Marine or Soldier can show his higher ups that he can use the weapon with out wasting good ammo. People buy them for conversation pieces or they have a 40mm launcher and get the HE stuff.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  11. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    florida
    probably because you don't want to blow something up during practice!!

12. medalguy

medalguy Member

Feb 20, 2009
    New Mexico
    Also EOD likes the practice rounds to be fired on a separate range from the fun stuff. The practice range can be nearly anywhere since there's no HE to worry about cleaning up. Also I suppose there's the cost factor. Practice rounds have to cost a fraction of what the HE rounds cost although I've never seen a cost comparison for the military ammo.