.410 defense ammo

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Maximilian II, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I saw an advertisement a day or so ago for Federal Premium's new .410 defensive load, it's four 000 buckshot. Seems to be marketed toward the Taurus Judge owners, since it had a picture of that revolver in the ad.
    My first impression is, why? I'd love to have a Judge for snake season, but if it will shoot .45 LC, I'm thinking that's going to be in there somewhere too, for defense agains larger "problems."
    Now in a different gun that doesn't have .45LC capability...there might be an application.

Your opinions?
  2. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

3. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I don't know, in a high stress situation, the spread of those 4 pellots and pistol range maybe great enough to give you a higher hit ratio, instead of 5 slugs going downrange you have 20. makes sense to me. Most people that buy a judge seems like they buy it for it's shotshell capability. Thats my 2 cents
  4. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

FTK, I *kinda* agree. If I bought a Judge, the shotshell capability is exactly why I'd buy it. And if I had the extra cash, I would buy it. For that exact reason. I go into the woods in summer, which is to say snake season. We have snakes in Georgia. A lot of them. Where I live I can expect to see Copperheads, Rattlesnakes, Cottonmouths, and Timber Rattlers. Usually very very close. Note I only mentioned the more dangerous breeds. The others get to live.

I'm thinking that the first one or maybe two chambers of a Judge would be best served loaded with #6, then some .45 LC for bigger problems.

I do think the Federal rounds have some use though.
    Here's what I see:
    Someone with minimal firearms training, given a Judge with all cylinders loaded with the Federal rounds. Point and shoot, if the "Bad Guy"'s silhouette surrounds the front sight, start pulling the trigger. That's what I'd suggest to Grandma if she was still alive.
  5. 1 CAV

1 CAV New Member

.000 Buckshot and a .45 round are both fully capable of stopping a man sized target. I'd go with either one.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Why not? From the "Judge" this 000 buck shot load should be very devastating to the human body, at close range. From a standard shotgun, the target would have to be 40', or 50' away for the shot to start to spread enough to cover a 16" target.
  7. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I wonder how fast the 000 would spread from the muzzle of a Judge.
    The more I think about it, this load might make more sense than it originally did. I still think the .45LC would be my choice for self defense though. Big whopping bullet going along at a decent clip.
  8. Zidru_ret.

Zidru_ret. New Member

If I were going to use this ammo for home defense, it would be coming out of an 18 inch barrel just as fast as I could pump it into the chamber. The 4 000 would do plenty of damage at close range to do the job without the risk of it punching through my exterior wall and into, or even through, my neighbors house. Yet at close range, it has about the same FAI available as your average .44 load. Not at all a bad choice for home defense.