.410 Hand Guns

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by rustyfugger, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Simple easy to understand way to describe the judge is it is a 45LC pistol with a very long cylinder. It just so happens that long cylinder will accept a 410 shotgun shell. It's a pistol, oh and looke here. You can stuff a 410 in there too.

It is in no shape or form a shotgun, that's illegal. It's a pistol with chambers that take a similar diameter 410 shotgun shell, nothing more.
  2. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by geds
    This looks like a great home defense weapon! Use number 6 shot to prevent penetration through walls and collateral damage. Thoughts?[/quote]

That's the whole thing in a nutshell, what do you want your gun to do?

Just make noise to scare people away? Give someone a shot or facefull of pellets? I've heard cases where a good leather or winter coat might reduce pellet or even lessen small caliber shots.

I like having multiple choice myself, a couple of guns quickly available (maybe not a kid friendly choice, I don't have kids).

That's what intrigues me on a 6 shot .410, .410, .410 (000 or 00?) then the .45s (in your choice) which should be a nice defence. Not a plinker gun.
  3. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

A long time ago, I read somebody got a Smith and Wesson .45 revolver with no rifling and needed to know what to do about it. He was told to get rid of it fast by sending it back to Smith and Wesson since he was in possession of a an illegally sized shotgun. You can get in big trouble for that no matter what caliber.
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

...drifti'n off the OT a bit here, but..
    Like the JUDGE being rifled and shooting triple ought through it, wouldnt that be sorta rough on the rifleing it's self?
    EDIT: "over time"
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Storebought buckshot is in a shotcup. The plastic cup is what is flying down the rifling, not the lead balls.

But even if it was the bare lead balls, lead is so much softer than steel that it should not hurt the rifling. Only damage should be leading. Or 'plasticing". :D

'Course, it IS a Taurus, so it's a piece of crap. That lead just might trash the rifling.
  6. berto64

berto64 Active Member

:cool:

I'm sticking with my old Mil.Industry Thunder Five. Has the 3" chamber for the 410 and also takes the 45 LC.

Fun gun to take to the desert and create a little mayhem with.
  7. Boris

Boris Former Guest

If soft lead pellets will jack up the riffling that bad, just imagine what them super hard jacketed 45 Colts are doing to the riffling......
  8. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

While we're on the subject, am I correct to assume that you cannot use slugs in a choked SG? Remember there are no stupid questions so no spitting please.

I have a .410 w/full choke barrel and a 12g that "was" full choke but a previous owner lopped 6" off it, so I'm assuming the 12g actually has no choke. Is this accurate?
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  9. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

You can use rifled slugs through lightly-choked barrels. Improved Cylinder or even Modified. It's very unlikely that you would get decent accuracy from a full choke barrel, and you'll cause damage over time.

And that one that's cut off: it's now a "cylinder" choke, which really means no choke at all.
  10. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Thank you Josh. My understanding wasn't far off.
  11. jce07a

jce07a New Member

the governor is very tricky to hold well because it has such a short grip (i side by side compared the glock 27 and the governor and they are pretty close to the same length grip). i have average hands and if you're shooting a 410 out of it then you're in for some kick...if its gonna kick like that then you're gonna want a full size grip on it

yeah its cool that it can shoot 410 .45lc and .45acp but if youre not going to be able to control it after the second shot then its not worth the effort. if someone comes in my house unwanted and trying to harm my family or myself they are gonna catch more than just one round, they're catching my entire mag...or as many as it takes to put them on the floor.
  12. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I have a Taurus Judge with a 6.5 inch barrel loaded with five 000 .410 rounds. I believe this will stop any bad guy who is stupid enough to break in my house. Why people want to bash Taurus brand guns I do not understand. I have three of them in different calibers and none of them have had any problems.
  13. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I dont own one but have had one to the range several times and have no complaints at all. Shoots the .45LC pretty acuurate.