410 Little pet Shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by arubaman, Jan 9, 2009.

1. arubaman

arubaman New Member

I have a 410 Little Pet shotgun single shot, under the barrel it has 09/52 JH engraved and on the and on the stock the same 09/52 JH.

Is this the year it was made or did someone engraved there initials for identification?

Thanks in advance

2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I'm not sure who made your shotgun, may have been by Stevens. However I'm fairly sure the carvings are those and the dare ow when it was given as a gift.
  3. arubaman

arubaman New Member

I can not find much information on the 410 Little Pet.

Are they worth anything?
  4. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Little Pet was a trade name used by Sears, Roebuck & Co. on pocket pistols that they sold. Sears may have also used the name on shotguns, though I have no proof of that.

09/52 is likely a date. The JH, I can't say. While Rjay may be correct that it was engraved as a gift, I have my doubts. Why do it twice? And, why on the underside of the barrel? It seems more likely to me that they are the maker's marks.

In any case, it would seem you have a "store brand" shotgun, of which many were made for numerous stores by almost as many makers. Generally, they have little value.

Look for additional markings and upload a couple of photos. Perhaps someone else will have more specific info.
  5. arubaman

arubaman New Member

I should have stated that the engraving or stamping is under the barrel and inside of the forend stock.
    Thanks for all the help, you guys have been great!

Attached Files:

6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i have two single barrel shotgun listings for "LITTLE" "LITTLE GEM" AND "LITTLE PET" both liistings show stevens as the manufacturer with no identified retailer. the picture of this one clearly shows it to be a early steven model 94 style small frame.

small bore small bore shotguns (regardless of name) will alway bring about 50% more than the large frame large bore models. blue book list steven model 94 at 100%=$95 down to 60%=$45. i believe this is at least 15 to 20 dollars lower than they are acurolly selling for.

only the iver johnson champion single barrels were of slightly better quality than the steven model 94 but not by much.
    bill
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  7. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

As Bill Goforth said Shotguns with the name Little Pet were made by the Stevens Arms & Tool Company. They were made for and sold by Townely's Metal & Hardware Company of
    St. Louis.MO. They were a utility grade gun and sold new for perhaps $25.00 . Today if you can find one in factory new condition it might bring $150. One in poor condition with rusty metal. rotten wood and missing parts would go for less than $10.00
  8. menotseeu

menotseeu New Member

I also have one of these shotguns. Thought I would show a picture of mine in order to help any research as to what the marking mean.
    This is the only identifying marks as well. I'm going to remove the butt stock and look for anything there. Will let you know if your interested.

[​IMG]