410 rounds with 444 brass and 45 bullet?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by CaptSammy, Oct 15, 2012.

1. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Both are good shooting guns with the accuracy edge IMO going to the Marlin. Both can be had for well under $250. The Henry is a bit lighter and more compact.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

The Rossi is ok, but I am preferential to Rugers when it comes to .22 wheelies. 22's are highly effective small game takers.

As far as .22 rifles; if within 100yrds, I would not hesitate to take deer with it if it was for survival.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I know nothing about the Henry version of the AR7. The Armalite wasn't so hot. I had a Charter Arms version. It sucked canal water. Now Henry makes it. Same gun. Maybe they've figgered out how to make it work reliably.

I've heard nothing but good about the Papoose.

By "the Rossi 22LR/22Mag", are you asking about a pistol? If so, I'd skip the Rossi entirely and get a Ruger Single Six. That is, unless you have something against single actions.
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

S&W .22 or the ruger wheelgun would be my first choice for .22 pistols.

As for rifles in .22, there are tons. The two you mentioned are decent, I would also lean towards the Marlin, or how bouts a Savage bolt gun?

A nice 22 bolt rifle with a detachable magazine would be a great all around rifle to start with. .22 will take deer like said above, it's a very good round for small game especially.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Just some more random thoughts thrown out.

If there was any way around it, I would not get a 22 with a detachable box magazine. Why? Because they are little dinky things that are extremely easy to misplace.

I've got two of those Romanian "trainers". Got a total of 5 of those five-shot magazine. Know where two of them are. The ones in the guns.

Hard to misplace 15-round M1 carbine mags, or 30-round AK mags, or even 8-round 1911 mags. 5-round 22 mags, though? They are super easy to lose.

With a tubular magazine on a 22 rifle holding between 10 and 15 rounds, I don't know why anyone would want a 5-round box.
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I've never lost one, they live on the gun or in the gun case/gun bag but I can see how they can be easily misplaced if you're not careful. I've got some with 5, 7, 8, 10 and 25 round mags, that's much superior over a tube mag just as far as speed at reloading. Rarely needed more than one shot but nice to have the option to put some sustained fire down if needed. Tubes take a while to fill up and mags are just super easy and less movement. They seem to be very relilable compared to any semi out there also. Pumps/tube fed seem to be plenty reliable also.

I just prefer mags to tubes myself but either would work fine.
  7. CaptSammy

CaptSammy New Member

That Ruger 10/22 take down looks really nice, back it up with a Ruger sp101 or gp100 and I can get the two for what that one Rossi Circuit Judge would cost me. I can learn to reloading 38/357, and plink with the 22. Is that a plan worth pursuing?
  8. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

all those are fine guns; I have both those Rugers in .357, you won't be dissapointed in them. shoot 38's for practice, keep +P for SD/HD
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That sounds like one helluva fine plan to me.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I agree with Alpo. Later on you can get a Marlin Lever gun chambered in 357 if you want one.