.410 Shotgun Question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by sdj02, Dec 16, 2003.

1. sdj02

sdj02 New Member

I have seen a lot of guns refering to .45 cal and .410 cal. I have a New England Arms single shot .410 shotgun with a full choke. My question is, can a .45 LC be shot through this, or does this take a special barrel? I know the gun manufacturer sells another barrel, but what is the difference.

Thanks for any info.
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Hello there, sdj02.

We're glad you stopped by at TFF. I hope you will join us often and post often. We have a very congenial bunch here and the collective knowledge is unsurpassed anywhere. Have a little patience and your question will be answered. It may take a little time for it to be seen by the experts.

Attached Files:

3. Smallbore

Smallbore New Member

I do know that they make 45lc/.410 derringers and stuff so it is being done. Is it safe in your shotgun, don't know, never tried. I think the biggest downsided would be that wiith no rifling your accuracy would most likely be horrible. You would need rifling to stabilize the bullet which is why they offer different barrels.
  4. sdj02

sdj02 New Member

How does a slug stay acurate? Different type of bullet?
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

6. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

i would not recommend shooting a .45lc out of your shot gun ,it would theoretically work ,so will a .44 magnum ,it should be able to handle the pressure ,but ,if their is any bit of a choke or taper you could be in trouble , much more so if you use a jacketed bullet ,the derringers are designed to do so ,also with the .45 being so much shorter ,you could mare the inside of the barrel , the barrel has a cut {should} in it where the .410 stops ,that determines the lenth of the shell

it really doesn't make much sense to do so ,the price of .45lc ,is far more than a box of .410 shells
  7. kingjoey

kingjoey New Member

Pistol ammo has a higher pressure than shotguns usually, although i t may work dimensionally, the pressure may be excessive for the shotgun action/barrel. Stick to the shotshells, I wouldn't even run slugs through a full choke.
  8. sdj02

sdj02 New Member

Thanks for the info guys. This forum is a great help.