410 shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by guajardo, Aug 10, 2009.

1. guajardo

guajardo New Member

I have Bridge Gun Company (Black Prince) 410-12M/M Choke Ser. no. A662224

Please let me know what year it was made, who made it , and how much is

it worth. Thanks. Adam Guajard::
  2. guajardo

guajardo New Member

3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

So much information wanted in return for so little information given :). Your shotgun is a trade name or store brand shotgun. Think J C Higgins and Sears. For years Sears sold firearms made by a multitude of makers, all marked J C Higgins. Bridge Gun Company was registered for use by Shapleigh Hardware Company of St Louis Missouri. Crescent Firearm Company made firearms under the Bridge Gun Company name. Bridge Black Prince was also used by Crescent. So 2+2 does not always equal 4, However I would guess your shotgun was made by Crescent Arms co. ( Google it) for Shapleigh Hardware. Since all of Crescent's records were destroyed in the early 40's there is no way to place a date on your shot gun other than the 1920's and 1930's. Value, you gave no indication of condition and condition is every thing, you did not even state whether or not it was a single or double barrel. However, if a single shot it's worth no more than any other old single shot, if in excellent { like new} condition maybe a hundred dollars. Best I can do, any others?
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Looks like you nailed it, to me.
  5. ubtoo

ubtoo New Member

I have a black prince by bridge company that a friend gave awhile back ago. It's not perfect condition but works great and I use it.. HAve shot critters in the yard. When friend gave to me I did have the little newspaper article that he included with the gun... Which now think lost. The paper stated gun was made in 1890 or possibly 1891, one of the years. I hope this helps with some clarification here. Yes mine is bridge gun company 410 black prince.
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

ubtoo, thank you for the information, however I think the dates should be a little later. Crescent didn't come into existence until 1892 and in the first few years they first sold the 44XL ( forerunner of the .410 ). While the .68 gauge was popular in Europe it didn't catch on in the colony's until the early 1900's ( around 1910 to be exact ). crescent didn't become popular in the hardware stores until the 1920's. So, don't know, I still think the 1920's is still a good date.
  7. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

You give incomplete information but I'll do the best I can. You didn't say if the gun is a single barrel, a double barrel, an outside hammer or hammerless. I'm going to assume that it is a single barrel. Then it's what I call a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun which is a shotgun made by a major maker (and before 1940) for and was sold by a wholesale sporting goods dealer, a retail chain store or an independent seller (your local hardware store) and who chose the name to go on the gun. Guns with the name BRIDGE GUN CO BLACK PRINCE were made by the Crescent Fire Arms Co of Norwich,CT (1892 ti 1930+) for and were sold at wholesale by the Belknap Hardware Company of Louisville,KY. No idea who might have sold it at retail. A single barrel with a serial number 662,224 would have been made sometime around July 1928. Others double barrels would have been made at different dates. These guns sold new for between $15 to $25 new. Todays values will depend on the guns condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood as well as the mechanical condition. A prime condition example that appears to have come out of the factory yesterday afternoon (rare as these guns were used hard and received little care or maintenance) and in .410 bore (a caliber, not a gauge) might bring as much as $150 while a rusty and pitted metal, rotten or broken wood, loose lock up and missing parts piece of junk fit only for parts salvage or as a fence stretcher might bring as little as $10 if it could be sold at all.
  8. ubtoo

ubtoo New Member

Ok I thought for sure the paper clipping that I received with my bridge company black prince single gauge had those dates but maybe they were wrong possibly. Either way a great gun and I enjoy it. Just bought ammo for yesterday.
  9. ubtoo

ubtoo New Member

Well I think now putting more thought into I believe article said 1892. Sure they didn't do 410 in that year? I'll try to look when I get to city home sometime see if I can find it somehow. Id really like to have that worth my gun anyways.