44-40 reload data needed

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by WRC, Jun 2, 2013.

1. WRC

WRC Member

Anyone have reload data for a Modern Winchester 1892 (Miroku) for deer hunting? Thanks.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

There's all kinds of data out there. Speer, Lyman, Lee. They all list it.

Unless you are looking to make your 44/40 a 44 magnum, because "the 92 is strong enough". If you are looking for those types of loads, hopefully no one here is dumb enough to give you any.

200 to 210 grain bullet on top of 8.0 of Unique. There are other loads, but this one works so well, why bother with them?
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

WRC:

Go to the Hodgdon web page below and follow the instruction to get load data for 44-40 rifle data:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

NEVER take data for reloading from others. Only used published data from reloading manufacturers manuals or their reloading web pages.

Do not hot load 44-40. While the Browning Model 92 from Japan was offered in 44 Mag (the gun is strong enough) the 44-40 brass may not be. All of the Winchester cartridges of earlier days were black powder cartridges at low pressures. That includes the 32-20, and the 44-40. While today commercially loaded 44-40 cartridges may run slightly higher pressures, the brass cases tend to be thinner. Hotting up the 44-40 is a no-no.

If you want 44 Mag performance then buy the 44 Mag version of the gun. I have one it it works very well indeed.

Let me relate a story to you from years past. This old guy showed up at the range with a brand new Italian clone of the Winchester 1866 in 44-40. He could not find (did not look very hard, it appears) reloading data for the 44-40 so he used 44 mag data. The first shot seemed OK and in fact was a bullseye at 50 yds but the second shot locked up the gun. I saw him weeks later and he told me a gunsmith had to open the gun to get the empty out. The frame of the gun had been distorted enough that it no longer would load from the magazine and could only be used single shot. This was the first time out for this new gun. Now, a 1866 is infinitely weaker than John Browning's 1892 design but this story shows the fallacy of using the wrong data for a specific gun. Use the published data for the 44-40, not data given by a person on the internet or at the range or from your best buddy. BE SAFE.

LDBennett